Billabong Retreat Sydney
Hotwire.com
  • Spa
All reviewsyoga and meditationyoga roomlucky dipcommunal areas areoutdoor bathother guestsdeluxe cabinshort breakbliss ballsmindfulnessrelaxationtreehousebushwellnessaccommodationsydneynye
Reviewed 2 March 2017

This was without doubt the BEST way to start my annual leave.
Fantastic Accomodation, friendly staff, yoga classes for all levels and all without the pressure of having to attend anything you didnt want to. Its just out of sydney but feels like a different world. The workshops were informative and fun, and the food...OMG...I am not a vegetarian but loved the food. I stayed 4 nights solo and was soo amazed by this place i will definitely go back. The billabong was soo nice for a leisurely swim. Cant wait to go back. NAMASTE

Room Tip: You can get a bath on your verandah. WICKED.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Brooke D
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2017

Hi Brooke,
Thank you for your beautiful review, so glad to hear that the start of your annual leave was so good!. We do want people to get what they need from the experience so I’m happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We wish you all the best and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

I had been travelling solo for over 4 months and needed some time to just relax and gather my thoughts for the new year. This was definitely the place! Its location was beautiful, set amongst the bush in the middle of nowhere.
The facilities were just big enough for when the retreat was full. Comfy sofas for reading, a swimming pool with beds and umbrellas and a cosy hideaway next to the billabong with a hammock.
I was there for just under 1 week so I took part in the meditation and wellness workshops. I thought the meditation workshop was more informative and I loved the sound healing. Very moving.
I thoroughly enjoyed the yoga every day and experienced a few teachers, all of whom had their different styles. Some were calmer, slower than others but all very experienced. The yoga room itself was air conditioned and looked out into the trees.
The food was incredible. My favourite chef was Angie, she cooked from the heart.
I had a full body massage and facial in the treatment centre - both therapists were extremely professional and I would rate my experience for this 5 star.
I stayed in the female 4 bed room which was disappointing, hence why I have only given 4 stars overall. I understand it is the cheapest accommodation, however it is still NOT cheap and the amount of bugs that were on my bed the first night was not acceptable. I noticed some of the fly screens had little holes in and there wasn't one on the balcony door, so you couldn't leave that open at night to allow a breeze in without letting more bugs in. I did complain to management as other guests in other rooms did not have this problem and they were very understanding and asked a maintenance chap to spray around thoroughly. Thereafter the problem was not as bad. It just dampened my experience slightly which was a shame as it was the only fault. There was enough space for your luggage etc when the dorm was full. The beds were a little springy and not as comfortable as I was expecting.
Overall, I had a very memorable experience and I would recommend this place but maybe choose the most expensive accommodation if you can afford it!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Georgina K

Hi Georgina,
I’m so glad your week stay was so enjoyable and you got to taste what we offer from a week’s variety of programs and food. Sorry to hear that your stay in the quad dorm room wasn't what you hoped for - we have taken on the feedback provided and have since added a new screen door; we are also in the process of changing our mattresses. We really appreciate the feedback provided, thank you. Happy to hear that your overall experience was still a great one. Hope to welcome you back some day!

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

I visited Billabong Retreat for two nights with a friend. It's in a very peaceful location and close to Sydney which was a bonus for me. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, the deluxe room was clean and spacious and had air conditioning but it wasn't really my idea of deluxe. We had bifold doors so no flyscreens which meant that we couldn't keep our doors open as we would have been plagued by mosquitos.
The food was good but not great. We had sweet potato and/or pumpkin for lunch and dinner with salads and no other choice. Afternoon tea was basic, protein balls one day and fruit the next, again no choice. Some nuts and cheese and biscuits would have been good. Also toast would have been nice for breakfast.
It was my friend's birthday and before I left home I rang and asked if they could do a special dessert for her on our last night and they said that they would ask the chef. When I arrived I asked the chef on duty and she said she would pass the message on to the chef for the next night. Dessert came and was eaten with nothing special so I had to ask the chef again and he then did a second dessert which was nice but the moment had really passed. It's a pity I had to ask twice.
The relaxing massage was a bit non descript. I asked for firm but that's not what I got. Also the therapist did the back of my legs but not the front which I thought was a bit odd. Some people might not be put off by this but I have regular massages and this one missed the mark for me.
All in all I did enjoy my stay but I wouldn't go back.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank KarenP057

Hi Karen,

We are happy to hear how you enjoyed the environment and the staff; we have a great team and it's lovely to be able to pass on that feedback.

We usually get great feedback about our food, so it's disappointing to hear it didn't meet your expectations; we do aim to offer a lot of variety to cover most palates, including both a savoury hot breakfast and lighter muesli and fruit options for breakfast. We are so sorry you didn't receive your request for a special dessert for your friend. We have recently implemented a more robust method of communication for our kitchen staff to avoid this type of issue.

Thanks for passing on your feedback regarding the screens for that room - bifold doors can be a challenge, but we have found one that will work and are in the process of finding a company to do this.

Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

Coming solo to my very first health retreat was a bit scary and exhilarating all at once. I got picked up by the taxi at the station, very convenient way of getting to the retreat, and upon arrival was transfered to a truly magical place where birds sing, insects go about their daily life loudly, and everything is so peaceful and tranquil that you can't not enjoy the experience of actually being there. I splurged on the room with an outdoor bath and an aircon and it came with an ipod loaded with some great tunes - anything from meditation music, to jazz; Epsom salts, and a mini fridge. The room was so welcoming, if there was absolutely nothing else on for the entire duration of my stay, I would be happy to stay in it all day long :) I booked for a 2 night retreat and loved the fact that there was so much on all day long, you didn't have to do every single thing on the schedule, but I wanted to be part of everything. So from the day of your arrival you get to do yoga twice a day, mediation, workshops on many topics from fermentation to gut health, as well as movie nights, and barely enough time to just be on your own. There is a library with everything from board games to magazines, a gorgeous sitting area with a fireplace, the most comfortable furniture in the universe, and that view! You leave having absorbed so much energy from the nature you are in! I loved the yoga, being a beginner, I felt pushed but not to a point of not wanting to go on, loved learning new insights into health and can't wait to implement them into my daily life. The only average was the food for me. Yes there was plenty of food and I never went hungry - on the contrary I was full all day long, but for me it was a tad repetitive - we had a vegetable stew pretty much 3 meals in a row (besides breakfast). But eating all vegetarian opened my eyes to how I should eat at home, taking away that I can be totally satisfied without any meat etc. What a wonderful place to recharge! The only thing I would do differently next time - is stay for a week not 3 days :)

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

Thank you so much for your beautiful review. We are so glad that you stepped out and tried your first health retreat, As you probably experienced, we get a lot of people who come on their own, so it’s very easy to meet new like minded people on our retreat. In terms of the food, we do try to rotate things so you get a variety of vegetarian food, I’m sorry to hear that wasn’t your experience and we will look into that to make sure the variety exists. Hope the state of peacefulness remains within you for a long time. Hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed 25 January 2017

We friend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Billabong Retreat. It was a Lucky Dip retreat with a mixture of Yoga, Meditation, Health Cooking and Mindfulness. We stayed in a Treehouse Ensuite which was small but well appointed. I found the beds a little small. I am just 6' and my feet were over the edge. As an Eco resort the water restrictions might be a little tricky for some. The cabin did not have aircon and it was incredibly hot and stuffy at night. The communal areas are very nice and comfortable and the food (even for non vegetarians) was good. Although I didn't enjoy every meal there were some really nice ones. The pool was a huge bonus in the heat and it was very relaxing. The yoga was good for beginners and I especially enjoyed the meditation. Would I go again, probably not but if you liked massages and facials, etc and were more into some of the "healing" treatments you might get more out of it.

Room Tip: If you go in the summer, get a room with air conditoning
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lobby62

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our lucky dip program of yoga, meditation, and healthy cooking - our team really enjoy the opportunity to create great programmes for our guests, whether they be experienced yogis or beginners.

We certainly do focus on healing therapies and understand it isn't everyone's preference. We recently have had some extraordinarily hot days, but we hope with the pool and air-conditioned yoga room there is some respite if it gets too much. We do have air conditioned rooms available and the cooler months can be really lovely with the fireplace and the warming menus.