“Great stay at bed and breakfast. Wanted to host wedding here”
Review of Secret Garden

Secret Garden
Ranked #3 of 8 Ouray B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 January 2017

My fiancé and I really wanted to host our wedding and reception here. We decided to visit the bed and breakfast first, of course to meet Sara and view the place in person to see if it was right for us. And to see if we needed to worry about our dietary needs or not ( Vegan ). We stayed here for one night in one of the smaller rooms that was available and even then it was still so comfortable, clean, and well kept. Sara is so lovely and kind, and created a special Vegan breakfast for my fiancé and I that consisted of hummus, pita, tasty olive oils, quinoa salad, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. It was delicious. The whole bed and breakfast is just so beautiful and well kept. All of the rooms are unique and irreplaceable. Her yard is also just breathtaking and the seasonal display of flowers really show how she cares for her property and how its presented at all times. More than the beauty of her property, there is just something incredible about Sara. Her personality shines, she's so heartwarming and comforting. A true genuine person in character. It really shows. And the true tester of that was when we had to cancel having our wedding and reception here due to personal struggles, we felt horrible about it, but Sara was so understanding and kind. She even made us a promise afterward, and kept it. True to her word. We will be coming back here in the near future. We can't wait to stay in one of the lovely rooms again and have more good conversations with Sara. We adore her and will definitely be back soon. :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful and comfortable. There are larger ones like the Kingston for couples...
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel D

Reviewed 12 September 2016

We stayed at the Secret Garden for three nights over 4th of July. Firstly, I HIGHLY recommend coming to Ouray for their awesome 4th of July celebration -- and there's no better place to stay than the Secret Garden. Sara is an amazing hostess and lots of fun. Even though she was organizing and hosting a wedding party that weekend, as well, she still made us feel like we were her only guests (though we also enjoyed the company of the other guests!). Breakfasts were all great, and she has lots of resources on things to do in and around town. We stayed in the Kensington Room. It was beautiful, comfortable and very spacious with it's own huge private bath. There's also a hot tub outside, which we utilized! If you happen to be in town over the 4th of July, the backyard/deck of the Secret Garden is a prime fireworks viewing location, without having to fight the crowds! I could not think of a better way to spend the holiday, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Secret Garden to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in or around Ouray.

Room Tip: The Kensington Room is the nicest room in the house!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dana S
Reviewed 22 August 2016

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. Sara was a wonderful host. The breakfast was out of this world delicious. Our room was very cozy and peaceful with a very tranquil atmosphere. Sara was great to get to know and chat with. We will definitely be returning for many more wonderful experiences. If you are ever in Ouray this is the place to stay.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

It's been over a year since my husband and I were married at Secret Garden (July 2015), and we still can't believe how incredible it all turned out. The food that Sara and her staff made was absolutely amazing, and their service was top notch. Sara is well known in town and knows of all the vendors to reach out to - planning for our wedding could not have been easier.

The setting was perfect for our ceremony and reception (85 guests) - it is so beautiful that we hardly had to do anything decoration wise. The only regret we have is not starting the party earlier, as Ouray has a noise ordinance starting at 10 PM. It wasn't a big deal, though, as we all were able to walk to the bars afterwards!

(All photo credits go to Ashley Kidder Photography, Denver CO)

Room Tip: Call and talk to Sara
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 5 August 2016

With hotels in Ouray all booked up for the few days we needed, I panicked one night while looking for hotels and found this BnB. It showed vacancy online, but I wanted to call to find out for sure that the suite was available. Sara answered and was quick to tell me the rooms were available and that she would process my request that night. I got an email soon after, confirming the suite upstairs which had 2 rooms with a private bathroom. Sara lives downstairs, but you hardly ever saw her other than at breakfast or with new guests. We arrived at the house and after having a difficult time knowing where to enter, found Sara, who showed us to our upstairs suite, which consisted of two rooms separated by a small hallway with a small bathroom as well. The one room also had a kitchenette which had a small dorm size microwave, small refrigerator, a toaster oven and a double burner hot plate to cook on. There are plenty of towels both for the kitchen and bathroom. There was also a coffee maker and a large sink and plenty of dishes to allow you to make a meal for four, along with a few pots and other items. The bathroom is nice but only has a tub with a hanging curtain around it. My rather tall husband said he managed it ok but if you are a larger person, taking a shower might be challenging, especially finding room to place your toiletries while showering . There was a very small TV in the one room and a larger TV in the other larger room. We never even turned them on so I have no review there. The Wifi worked good although my kids usually spent time in the common area downstairs for a better signal - so they say ;) My husband enjoyed happy hour where we was able to grab a Fat Tire every night. The beds were very comfortable and my twins slept great in the room with the kitchenette as there were two twin beds in that room. We cooked 3 nights worth of meals in that kitchenette, albeit simple (mac and cheese, spaghetti, frozen fish). There are A/C units in each of the rooms which was nice but after the sun goes down, it cools off very nice up there. We found the house and location very quiet but could understand people downstairs having some noise issues as the stairs going up to our unit are a bit creaky. We were allowed to use the back entrance which was nice, even though there were two flights of stairs to our suite. Sara makes some amazing meals which we thoroughly enjoyed and there is plenty to go round. I really enjoyed all the fresh fruit. We were lucky enough to have a few great couples join us for breakfast the mornings we were there, so it made for nice conversation. Sara is a very accommodating host and will get you whatever you might need to make your stay better. I found her to be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get to know her, you come to realize that she is a very special lady. I am usually a private person and stay away from BnB type establishments, but for whatever reason, this place just seemed different and we felt a bit more secluded having the upstairs suite to ourselves. I think we also lucked out and had some very respectful guests staying in the rest of the house, which helps a lot.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank KentuckyMom77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouray
0.4 km away
15.5 km away
The Victorian Inn
The Victorian Inn
#5 of 11 in Telluride

Been to Secret Garden? Share your experiences!