“Fine Dining for Grand Junction”
Review of 626 on Rood

626 on Rood
Reserve with OpenTable
626 on Rood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seventh St.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food here is excellent, the wine selection is one of the best anywhere. I wish they were still open at lunch. Dinners are great and the lamb is excellent. The only draw back is it is noisy

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 6 November 2018

This was the first "nice" restaurant I went to when I moved to GJ. It was so disappointing that I was literally depressed that if that was one of the nicest, I would have to leave town to get good food. I ordered the lobster with quinoa. The lobster was over done, over priced and overly small. When the waitress asked how I liked it I told her the lobster was over done and the quinoa tasted lie low tied. All I got in response was, "Oh, I've never heard that before". I shouldn't have to ask the restaurant to do the right thing. I will never go back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

We were spending the night in Grand Junction, just traveling through, and ended up very pleasantly surprised at the level of creativity and talent the chef displays at this restaurant. Also the staff was terrific too. All in all, it was one of the best dining experiences we’ve had (and we are from a foodie area of Northern California and travel quite a bit too). The South African flight of reds was yummy and fun. The beet salad was the best we’ve had any place. The plum curry vegan scallops were perfection and very creative. And the chocolate pear bread pudding was delish. If we ever return to Grand Junction we will return to 626 on Rood also.

Date of visit: October 2018
Brenda W, Owner at 626 on Rood, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2018

Hi, thank you for the great review and for stopping by. We're thrilled you found your way to 626 during your travels. It was our pleasure having you and we would love to serve you again if you ever find yourself in Grand Junction a second time. Thank you!

Reviewed 14 October 2018

Small cozy place with a very friendly staff. The lamb I had was as good as or better than any I have ever had - GREAT!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 6 October 2018

It was to be a joyful evening of friends gathering to celebrate riding the annual Tour of the Moon bicycle event that day. Nine of us met there looking forward to a fine dinner. We had looked over the menu before and read previous reviews that warned us that food would be pricey (it was), portions would be small (they were) but taste and quality were the best in Grand Junction (that's their opinion).
However, nothing prepared us for the shrill and high volume that slammed into us when we entered. (We would have left immediately if we were not with friends.) The noise level did not let up the entire evening. It was impossible to hear the person across the table, or two seats away. We had to literally shout to hear (alas, adding to noise level). Our waiter was prompt, solicitous, and made useful suggestions. My $20 hamburger was pricey but ordinary, as were the fries that came with it. My wife's scallop entree was dwarfed by the oversized plate/bowl that featured two—that's right 2!—scallops on a bed of lentils accompanied by a local plum; at $26 that's $13 per scallop! Even New England scallops rarely command such extravagance. The best item on the menu was a dollop of honey ice cream for dessert for $3. We should have come for that. However, we'll not return when in Grand Junction next.

Date of visit: September 2018
Brenda W, Owner at 626 on Rood, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate hearing from our guests. Tour of the Moon weekend is one our busiest weekends of the year, and we are always booked all weekend long. Glad to hear that your server did a fine job, especially since we were as busy as we were. Our $20 Bourbon Bacon Burger is a half-pound Colorado wagyu beef patty, with sharp cheddar cheese, bourbon bacon, caramelized beer onions on a brioche bun, and also includes a generous serving of 626 fries. We cook every burger to order and to temperature. Sorry that the burger came across as ordinary to you. Roasted Plum Sea Scallops have been our biggest selling item since we added the dish to the menu a month ago. The extra-large sea scallops come to us fresh from Maurder Trawling, Palmer Island, MA. Lightly smoked, the scallops are seared to order and served with organic coconut curry sauce, chili roasted organic “elephant heart” plums from a local farm, and organic red lentils. These are premium ingredients, and their cost is fairly reflected in the pricing. The overall reaction from our guests to this dish is that it’s a real treat, and they enjoy the complexity of flavors. Again, we apologize, this dish did not meet your expectations. However we are confident in our dishes and have had an overwhelmingly positive reaction from our guests. We do hope you dine with us again and find a dish you will love. Thank you.