“Could be a great place, but...”

Garfield's Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #100 of 302 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Possibly we had a poor experience because it was a busy Valentines evening, but I really had some issues. When you go out for an evening and lay out well over $60.00 for a special dining experience - I for one expect better. With just a few changes in the restaurants dress code, it would have at least felt elegant.
Waitresses were dressed haphazard and ours looked hastily put together in hair and clothing. It would have looked and felt much better, in my opinion, that they either somehow matched the theme the restaurant appeared to want to present (high class surf and turf). If they even had worn all black or white and black it would have been much more impressive than walking into what appeared to be a mom and pops restaurant which served high end dishes.
The food and service was another problem. We got our salads with bread - bread that appeared to be from a Pillsbury pop-out can and looked under baked. We didn't get our appetizer until one or two minutes before the main course was served which was somewhat cool and didn't look to be mushrooms that were saute' , as stated, but rather boiled and soaked in oil. Our steaks looked great, however - I ordered my medium rare and got rare. We had to ask another waitress/bus girl to have our waitress to come back as she never did come back to check on us at any one time. When she finally came back, my hubby was half through with his meal. She took my steak back and by that time I finished my baked potato and hubby was through, so we took the steak home. Then came dessert - it looked like it was one of those chocolate volcano cakes with gooey stuff inside... but it apparently was originally frozen and was not heated nor completely thawed out and still cold at the bottom, nor did it taste like real chocolate (a crime in itself for a chocolate lover - LOL).
To give them credit, they did give us a substantial amount off the check, I assume from the steak mistake, but it was a very poor experience over all.
I had heard this from a client, that food she was served at a buffet she attended there was cold and the dessert was not completely thawed, but it was a new event they had added to the restaurant and they were under prepared....

Reviewed 7 July 2017

We used to love Garfield's, but the food, service and condition of the restaurant
has slowly deteriated.
Our recent visit with our out of town guests was not a good one. The service was sooo slow and there were only 4 tables of people at the time.
Fish was not fresh, chicken was very over- cooked.
It's 100 degrees outside and our water and iced tea has 3 little ice cubes floating at the top.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Best fish and seafood in Grand junction.
Great service and ambience. Walleye in lemon butter is the bomb.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

There are not a lot of place to eat in the Redlands area of Grand Junction, in fact, this might be the only place. We went there for Sunday breakfast/brunch. Actually I ordered from the breakfast menu and my husband ordered from the lunch menu.

Gosh - it cam so close to being very good, but just missed on so many details.

The hostess was very personable. When she gave us our menu, I noticed an appetizer of onion rings for $8.00. I asked her if they were housemade (at that price, I had expected a "yes"). She told me, honestly, no they were not. But, she told me that their calamari is house battered as are many of their fish dishes.

I ordered eggs benedict (I have been craving them lately) and my husband got the calamari salad.

The calamari are cut in strips and are very thick - not with batter, but the squid was thick. But - it was delicious and very tender. Really - we both loved the calamari and the serving was generous.

The salad, under the calamari, was really unremarkable. It was basically a lettuce mix with some nice onion, cucumber and tomato slices on top. Mixing the greens with some other ingredients would have made this a nicer salad. It felt like the salad was just an afterthought. The calamari deserved better.

The eggs benedict were also OK. One egg was cooked beautifully and the yolk just gushed out when I cut it. The other egg was more well done. Ham was beautifully smoky and a nice counterpoint to the egg. The english muffin was not remarkable - probably more toasting would have made a better texture. The real failing was the hollandaise. The taste was just not great. It almost felt like a flour or cornstarch sauce with some lemon flavoring. Hash browns were forgettable.

I think fixing the hollandaise would be a big step. But - making the salad more interesting (and maybe having the dressing in a little pitcher or glass cup), seasoning the potatoes, toasting the muffins would be easy steps to move this up to a "very good" rating.

It looks like they are only open for breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Rest of the week it is dinner only. Most of the people eating on Sunday morning seemed to come from the church next door. And, for a while, we were the youngest people there. A family with child came in afterwards. So - it is family friendly.

I know this restaurant has a good past - I think they could make this a first rate place again. Best wishes.

Not a bad place to eat - just not destination restaurant.

1  Thank Rita B
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

We absolutely love the renovation!! The staff was great and the food was amazing!! We received our food quickly.

1  Thank JAAKA