“Why I had to walk out”

Ed's 1859 cafe
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Reviewed 23 September 2014

Why I Had to Walk Out
Having had good lunch in the Happy Cooker (separate review), I decide to try next door for breakfast today. It's about 9am and the place is absolutely empty. We are met by an aggressive waitress who directs to pick a table and soon brings menus. She takes our order in the same brisk and authoritative way and disappears. Loud rap is coming all over the place. Since we are the only visitors, when she brings the coffee, we ask her to please lower the music a bit. She mumbles something, then disappears again and the music becomes considerably louder. Our next request on the same subject is met with "I LOWERED IT!" At this point we decide to leave. A second lady appears at this time to see what's the commotion all about. I ask how much we owe for the coffee, and the second person YELLS "Nothing, go, just go!".
Out we walk only to be reached, a few minutes and two blocks down Main Street. by the same lady who told us to "just go!". She advises us that we have not paid for the coffee! Back I go and pay I do, then walk away, this time for sure. Music playing louder than before. Oh, my!

1  Thank Oliver S

Reviewed 23 September 2014

Having had good lunch in the Happy Cooker (separate review), I decide to try next door for breakfast today. It's about 9am and the place is absolutely empty. We are met by an aggressive waitress who directs us to pick a table and soon brings menus. She takes our order in the same brisk and authoritative way and disappears. The walls are decorated with, among other things, old posters of Jerry Lee Lewis and black and white photos of RR cars. Loud rap is coming all over the place. Since we are the only visitors, when she brings the coffee, we ask her to please lower the music a bit. She mumbles something, then disappears again and the music becomes considerably louder. Our next request on the same subject is met with "I LOWERED IT!" At this point we decide to leave. A second lady appears at this time to see what's the commotion all about. I ask how much we owe for the coffee, and the second person YELLS "Nothing, nothing, go, just go!".
Out we walk only to be reached, a few minutes and two blocks down Main Street, by the same lady who told us to "just go!". She advises us that we have not paid for the coffee! Back I go and pay I do, then walk away, this time for sure. Music playing louder than before. Oh, my!

1  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The cafe looks a little run down - could use a make-over. BUT the food was Great! Had the soup of the day which was a vegetable with a cream broth and you could tell the soup was made with fresh vegetables. Then we had the mushroom swiss burger - the mushrooms were fresh and the burger was not a pre-made patty. Very good and the prices very reasonable. It was a very good experience - the staff was great. I would just lighten up the cafe. I would eat there again!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I wanted to simply say the service was horrible and the food mediocre but Trip Adviser requires a 100 character minimum review. In fairness they might have been understaffed on the day we visited, and our mistake was not leaving and going somewhere else from the get go. When we walked in we were greeted with "just find a table and someone will get to you as soon as we can." That act was about 25 minutes later and only after we got up and asked for menus. Food took another 40 minutes and again we had to stop someone -- not our waitress, she never stopped back -- to inquire about the status. I suspect they misplaced our order because the burgers were undercooked. Then we had to hunt down someone to get the check, and it was incorrect. No apology from the manager, just an excuse that they got slammed but we noticed our waitress had time to sit at a nearby table and chat. This is probably the one and only time we will stop in Georgetown so I can't recommend anyplace else, but I have to think anyplace else would be better than Ed's.

1  Thank AfromOhio
Reviewed 2 August 2014

After walking through town, we spotted this little café and stopped for a late lunch. The burger was really good, and the atmosphere was quaint.