“Everything we wanted”

Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Chicago Burbs
“Everything we wanted”
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Residence Inn Durango was everything we wanted for a three night stay.

Breakfast, coffee and tea around the clock, large comfortable room, plenty of parking and convenient location. The room had a full sized fridge, stove, and dishwasher. When you walk in the room, it's wide open and welcoming. For two of the nights, we got back late from touring and did carry out back to the room. With a separate bedroom, the living room/eating area made this very comfortable and enjoyable. In other hotels, you'd be eating while sitting on the bed - not such a good thing. Here, there was a table with cloth napkins, real flatware, dishes, and glassware. Flat screen TVs in both the living area and the bedroom were a treat. All the staff were friendly and greeted you whenever they saw you. The breakfast staff was happy to see you and thanked you without being over the top chipper. Just right for a morning greeting. Food was quite varied and included fresh fruit, cooked oatmeal (not the instant package), eggs, potatoes, pastries, other breakfast breads, juice, etc, etc.

It's located just off the downtown district which probably added to the peacefulness. No highway noise, no late night carousers on the street.

Nice bathroom and amenities. Plenty of towels and hot water. This is the place to stay for a relaxing environment after seeing the sights.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 14clubs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
nowhere
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We only stayed one night, but the room was fine. We were disappointed that we paid for a king suite (1 king bed and 1 sofa sleeper) and were given a queen suite that was MUCH smaller than my in-laws room (king suite). It was the handicap access room that had a doorbell that scared the crud out of my kids when my nieces rang it. I was a little miffed they wouldn't discount it either since we are a family of 4 and needed that extra space.

The room was clean, bathroom was clean. The bed was VERY firm. It killed my back, but I'm used to my squishy bed. We had plenty of pillows and towels. We had a hard time keeping the temperature comfortable, but that could have been user error. The fridge ran all night (ice maker?) and was pretty loud but didn't keep my kids up. We did hear people above us and some water running during the night. My sister-in-law heard a baby crying in the room next to her that kept her up all night. Bring a white noise machine. The walls are thin.

Breakfast was good, but we aren't picky eaters. There were eggs, potatoes with sausage, a waffle maker, canadian bacon (it was dried out so we didn't eat that). Cereal, milk, fruit, yogurt parfaits with granola. Of course, there is the usual donuts, muffins, toast, bagels as well.The staff manning breakfast was VERY friendly and helpful.

We'd stay there again but I will be bringing a white noise machine.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stayed at the Residence Inn in late September / early October with my wife and two children for four days. The two bedroom suite (with three flat screen tvs) gave us plenty of room to spread out. The hotel is conveniently located a couple of minute drive from downtown and the rest of Durango.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor (of three floors). I heard a lot of noise above us. This would be avoi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Pee stained sheets.... lazy staff who asked that I change the bedding when they brought it to me....dirty bathroom floor... I should have asked for a new location but we had traveled long hours and were with another couple....who were also tired... Sofa in the common area of the suite was filthy around the head area of the back of the sofa.... greasy hair stains.....It took me a few days to get over it... and I will NEVER stay at another Residence inn again.... and I have stayed at many of them. They should be reported to the health Dept.... but with time they will go down just like other poorly managed establishments!

Room Tip: Take your own bedding!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Crissy M
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed 6 October 2011

A very typical Residence Inn, which are one of our favorite places to stay when traveling. A little on the pricey side, but they usually are. The room was very clean, nice a quiet, and provided a very nice night's sleep. Having a kitchen is nice, but for just a 3 night's stay, we really didn't get a chance to use it. The full size coffee maker, though, is wonderful! The hot breakfast is very good, and includes a "make your own" Belgium waffle maker. They featured a rotating selection of eggs and breakfast meats, along with potatoes, french toast and pancakes.

The only comment is that one thing I was looking for was a hotel within walking distance to the downtown area. I called and was told that it was a very short walk. Reality is that it is about a mile to the heart of downtown. We ended up driving into town. Note that parking is at a premium in the heart of downtown (meters), but by going just a few blocks up into the residential area (3rd St), there was plenty of free parking. Based on its location, I can see why the Doubletree is the top rated hotel, but I don't think the location warranted the extra $100+/night it would cost to stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple