“Very Good Bar Service, Great Local Brew and Penne Arrabbiata”

Mutu's Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Mutu's Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 207 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2016

I visited Mutu’s on a Sunday evening around 7:45. There was a 20-minute wait inside, and a shorter wait to sit outside, but because I was alone (on business) and wanted to see the NBA finals game 7, I chose to sit at the bar where a TV was located. I was quickly greeted by the bartender, who was making drinks, and she gave me a menu.

I ordered a local tap beer, Mexican Logger (by SKA Brewing of Durango), field greens, and Penne Arrabbiata with added shrimp. I enjoyed the beer, which despite being light in color had a good flavor (similar to Pacifico). The field greens (see picture) came out and was a larger portion than I expected, including a couple of generous tomato wedges, a cucumber slice (through the length of a small cucumber), greens, cheese, and a good vinaigrette dressing. Some Italian bread slices also came out with something that looked like orange butter, and it was very tasty.

As I was finishing the salad, my main dish came out (see picture). The Penne Arrabbiata (the menu has it spelled “Aribiata”) had slices of kalamata olives on top, as well as nice chunks of tomatoes. The penne was essentially al dente, and the combination of flavors with the added shrimp made for a wonderful dish.

The entire time I sat at the bar, I talked to a couple of bartenders as well as a couple of patrons (the bar was fairly empty while I was there), and it made for an enjoyable meal on a business trip. I can’t speak for the service one might receive if seated at a table, but this particular evening the bar was a good choice.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

I chose Mutu's because they offer beef carpaccio as an appetizer, and they were the only option for a red sauce dinner that was not pizza.

It is not on main street. It's a block off on a parallel street. I was standing on the sidewalk attempting to work Google maps on my phone when two college age girls asked if I needed help. I told them I was looking for Mutu. Each said they knew where it was. Then they simultaneously pointed in opposite directions. It was hilarious.

I opted to eat at the bar. It offered a view of the majority of the restaurant. Brit was the bartender and had responsibility for a good sized section of diners. She was constantly on the move. It never hindered her ability to make sure my drinks and dinner we exactly what I wanted.

I thought Brit had too many duties. After observing for a bit I noticed all the servers were harried. They all had to come to the bar for their drink orders giving me the opportunity to hear their conversations with Brit. I don't know if they were short that evening.

The manager, Paul, was also a study in motion. He was continuously asking the servers if there was anything he could do for them. I've seen the manager in many restaurants stay secluded in the office. This guy was hands on. He was all about helping the servers give their customers the best experience they could. You can see a lot by eating at the bar.

The carpaccio was wonderful. It came with a small pile of tiny greens on one side of the plate. This was new to me, but it was a welcomed addition to tradition.

I ordered the bruchetta to assist me with my second martini. Both it and the martinis were wonderful.

I had the Cappelini Dell Chef for my entree. Angel hair, red sauce, onions, prosciutto, Mozzarella, and basil it was just the simple dish I was seeking. I enjoyed it immensely. The prosciutto was not in thin slices. I was in a coarse dice. Eating the meal gradually reduces the amount of pasta and sauce in proporion to the prosciutto. The saltiness of the prosciutto became overpowering as the meal concluded.

Without question I'd certainly eat there again. The food I received was delicious. Brit, Paul and the army of servers did commendable jobs. If there were any dissatisfied customers, I did not see them or hear the servers speak about them when they came to the bar for their drink orders.

I urge you to give it a shot. I'm not a fan of eating outside. Mutus offers outside dining for those of you with a different opinoin.

Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

The main entrees were expensive and average quality. Very nice atmosphere and building; but I was disappointed in quality. Lasagna my friend had was very good; but my eggplant Parmesan was fair at best.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

A friend who lives part-time in Durango recommended this Italian restaurant with a Japanese-sounding name. The menu and our dinners did not disappoint. The service did disappoint. Think delivering the food to the table without noticing that there were no setups on the table; removing the fork with the empty appetizer dish, and not bringing another fork with the entree until asked; and responding, "Oh, we're out" to a request for an iced tea refill. Only later did we get the explanation "Our coffee machine is broken today (Memorial Day) and that's why we can't make more tea." Nevertheless, we wouldn't hesitate to return.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Great food! We all had lasagna - they offer with and without meat. I prefer the no meat and it did not disappoint. My mom and brother had the sausage lasagna and said it was great too. If you enjoy Italian food, you need to stop by Mutu's for a meal!