“What you should know...”
Review of East by Southwest

East by Southwest
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 208 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Wow, this was an unexpected surprise! It has a great location, great atmosphere and we had great service. We had the Grilled Shishito Peppers and the Crispy Spicy Tuna Cakes as starters. The shishito's we do at home, but they do them with more flavor! the Tuna cakes we excellent and a large portion. I ordered two rolls, Salmon and Lemon and the Philly - awesome! Both were large, flavorful and beautiful. My husband had the beef and mushroom special, it was also amazing. Mochi for dessert and sake - great meal, will go back!!

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I ordered stir fry noodles and a california roll, and my boyfriend got the pork ramen. The sushi was pretty good, but both the noodle dishes were very bland. I had to add a ton of chili paste to make it have some flavor. The happy hour specials were not very cheap compared to the regular prices ($7 mojito, $6 california roll). The one thing I did love about the meal was when they brought me cotton candy with the check! We ended up spending about $60 here for two entrees, appetizer, and two drinks.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

For a long time, a friend has recommended we visit this restaurant for sushi on our next visit to Durango. We did that yesterday, and we are glad that we did.

As you enter, you receive a warm welcome from Glen, the manager, who maintains a watchful presence. The ambiance is casual but pleasant -- and not too noisy. The service also is pleasant and professional, if our experience with Sam as our waiter is typical.

The food was very good and came quickly. I had both the pork and veggie gyoza. (The Happy Hour price from 5-6:30 p.m. for the pork gyoza is a good buy at $6 for five rather than the regular $9 price.) From the extensive five pages of sushi, sushimi and rolls, my husband chose the spicy tuna roll -- also at a Happy Hour price -- and enjoyed it, as he did his Hypnotique sea breeze vodka martini. Note that, as mentioned in the menu, the hot and cold food is cooked in different kitchens so it often comes at different times.

There are some special touches, such as the generous amount of fresh ginger that comes with the wasabi. Another is the quirky but fun arrival of cotton candy with your bill, an idea chef Sergio got on a trip to San Francisco as a clever way to help customers remember the restaurant. Our only complaint would be the small wine pour. Considering my Chardonnay was $13 a glass, I expected more.

1  Thank Bob and Carole H
Reviewed 31 January 2018

I recently went to East by Southwest for happy hour snacks. I love sushi, but I'm often disappointed by unimaginative offerings. This place however has a great range of really imaginative options, even on their happy hour menu which demonstrate the creativity of the chef. We sat at the sushi bar (one of many different seating areas you can choose from) and so we got to watch the sushi being made and had a bit of banter with the chefs. They have a great range of high quality fresh fish - obviously very important for a sushi resaurant and every dish we tried was executed perfectly.

The service was awesome and the whole experience was very enjoyable. I'll be back next time I'm in Durango for sure.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Always a wonderful experience at East by Southwest. The service, the food, the atmosphere is all TOP NOTCH. In the evening, they open a warm, culturally inspired lounge area where you can have a handcrafted cocktail and sip before dinner. Highly recommended.