“Nice Vegan Option with Mung Bean Noodles”
Review of Himalayan Kitchen

Himalayan Kitchen
Ranked #21 of 208 Restaurants in Durango
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Nepalese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2016

I enjoyed my large plate stir fried veggies and mung bean noodles. It was a nice change from Indian and Thai food and something I hadnt tried before.

Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

Sometimes a steak isn't what really satisfies your hunger. I was in the mood to join my wife in a vegetarian meal. The search for something different is often satisfied by the unexpected. Enter Himalayan Kitchen in Durango. Indian and Nepalese cuisine in Durango, Colorado of all places. What a great find in a town that has good restaurant fare based on beef and elk meat.

Our meal was excellent -- curried cauliflower and spicy vegetable biryani with Taj Mahal lager and a crisp Pino Grigio. For dessert strawberry creme brule. A little different and a nice finale.

It pays to go beyond the ordinary.

Reviewed 19 June 2016

The food here was great. Expect it to be like Indian food, with a few twists coming from Nepal. We had a mix of things and everything was really quite good. I only have a couple of specific comments:

- Try the Yak Mo Mo (dumplings). These were really good and we liked them better than the Yak entree, as the meat was better in ground form in the dumplings than in cubes in the entree.
- The vegetable cha cha was great.
- The tikka masala dish was about the only one of the many dishes we had that wasn't quite as good as I would have expected. I prefer a traditional Indian version of this rather than the Nepalese version that seemed to have much less tomato in the sauce.

I would definitely recommend it if you are in Durango and you like Indian food.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

I live in Durango so this is a review by a local. I love Himalayan Kitchen. There are a number of reasons. Here are a few:

1. Food is good. Some of it is really good and some of it is more average. I think we are very fortunate to have an Indian/Nepalese restaurant in our little town. The Biryanis are always satisfying. Curries are pretty good. Naan and breads are excellent. Samosas are ok. Love the little condiment sauces - great flavor. I haven't tried the Yak. I love that they always have lamb. My favorite dish is actually an appetizer, but you can order it like a meal and get some rice on the side if that sounds good to you. It is the Bhaktapuri Cholla with lamb. Succulent pieces of lamb with jalapeños, green onions, and wonderful spices including what look like crunchy black sesame seeds, but I'm not sure if that's what they are. The flavor is to die for. It's never come out anything less than awesome. This is not a saucy dish, but rather more of a grilled lamb chunks. I love sauciness, so for me to say this is my favorite is a big deal!

2. Authenticity. The owner is from Nepal. The staff, owner, and recipes are all authentic. There are photos on the wall taken by the owner of the Himalayas etc. He helps out the village where he grew up. AND they are part of our community. You see them around town.

3. Value. At lunchtime they offer a buffet. You can eat as little or as much as you like for a reasonable price. There's always a few different dishes and some salad too. A great way to have something different than the usual salads/sandwiches/burgers/etc. at lunch time.

If it were just the food I would only give 4 stars, but overall, I had to give 5. Don't expect high end service, but the staff are polite and helpful. Give it a try!

Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

Last night my husband, I and 5 other family members ate here for dinner. The meals themselves varied from fairly good to bad. The yak was so tough as to be almost impossible to chew. Service was just ok. When we received the large bill, we were told by the owner (I assume) that "the internet is not working" and my husband would have to go to the ATM and withdraw cash to pay the bill. Since we were clearly the only ones who had to do this, we didn't believe the Internet story and felt it was the size of the bill. What an insulting way to do business! Needless to say, we will not be back.