“Beyond extraordinary!!! Dunton is a truly magical place...”
Review of Dunton Hot Springs

and 1 more site!
Dunton Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dolores
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We have just returned home after an amazing few days at Dunton Hot Springs. We did not want to leave! We rented the entire "town" for an incredible family celebration spanning ages 2 to 72! The location is spectacular.. nestled in the mountains in a beautiful valley. I sat in my own private hot springs looking out at the meadows filled with wild flowers, running horses, and snowcapped mountain peaks. It could not have been more beautiful! The service was impeccable. I could actually enjoy the event because the general manager Eduardo took care of every detail and one of the staff members Bojo planned innovative and personalized events for the children .. scavenger hunts, skits, creative crafts, and games! The food was also unbelievable! 5 star gourmet food in a luxurious rustic setting! All of our family and friends were simply blown away by the pristine beauty of this site. It would also be a perfect place for a romantic escape ...in fact my husband and I are already planning to return in the winter for snowshoeing and ice skating! I cannot speak highly enough of this incredibly unique and breathtaking hotel!

Room Tip: Use website to pick cabin that suits you best!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I needed to get away and had no idea where to go. I just know it had to be someplace fabulous where I could clear my mind. I started fumbling through tripadvisor and came across Dunton. After some research and some emails with the staff I had convinced myself this was the vacation for me. I'm a middle class gal and this was an expensive vacation for me but it was worth every penny and then some.

The entire staff was excellent. They arranged everything but my airfare. No request is too small for the Dunton staff. They not only catered to my needs but every guest was special to them. It started even before me getting there when my driver got lost. She called Dunton and I could hear Melanie giving her directions on how to get there from our exact location. When I finally arrived, I received a warm welcome from Eduardo who is the property manager. He took me on a tour of the resort and showed me where all the important places are-mainly the Saloon (which is the heart of Dunton), the Bath House and of course my cabin, Major Ross.

My cabin was simply beautiful. Every nook and corner has a fascinating detail and every day I would see something different. I loved hanging out in my cabin. I could have spent the entire trip reading in my cabin and watching the snow fall but I was always out and about. I spent 5 full days at Dunton and walking around the property I always found things to take pictures of. I took close to 400 pictures! I would go out on my own and venture the trail or walk the grounds and I felt like I was on a movie set. It was truly unbelievable. I live in New Jersey and I had done some light back packing in the past and enjoyed some of the scenery in New Jersey. We have beautiful landscapes but the peace and quiet I heard at Dunton was amazing. The whole place is just magical.

The meals at Dunton are fabulous and Chef Dennis and Sous Chef John aim to please and they always hit the mark. No request is too small and they will match your dietary needs. The wonderful staff didn’t end with Eduardo, Dennis and John. Eric and Melanie are basically silent ninjas serving people in the Saloon but they also heartily participate with guests giving them directions or partaking in the banter. Eric even helped me with my snow shoes one day and he made me my breakfast sandwich on the morning I had to leave. Shari worked tirelessly scheduling guest activities. Bojo, the activities director, is this wild ball of energy and I loved it. We went snow shoeing one day with her dog, O’Malley, and it was great time. The maintence and house keeping staff were just as amazing. Even though I came alone, the staff always made me feel welcome and like I was part of the Dunton family.

I hate posting this wonderful review because I am worried I’ll never be able to get back but I will find a way to get back. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank katerina1976t
Reviewed 26 February 2011

For travelers who like a little luxury with their outdoors, Dunton is the gold standard. My wife and I spent five nights in Major Ross over the New Year's holiday and have not stopped raving since we returned home. Everything about Dunton is carefully thought out and perfectly executed: the rustic elegance of the cabins, the lovingly restored library, the fireplace in the bath house, the exquisite bar, and the peerless menus prepared with local ingredients. The staff genuinely cares about this place, and it shows -- the energy that went into the New Year's Eve dinner, for example, was not only tremendous but heartfelt. The activities coordinator spent hours each day building an ice rink by hand, and the rest of the day devising activities for the resort's only child in residence. And the setting is incomparable; it takes hours to get to, but that's precisely what makes it so special. We cross-country skied each morning of our stay (on brand new equipment from Dunton's barn), ate a hearty lunch with a local microbrew, and whiled away the afternoons in the bathhouse and with books by the woodstove in our cabin. And when there was a college bowl game we just couldn't miss, there was satellite TV in the lodge, not to mention wireless Internet. We would not change a thing -- and we hope they never do.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfhotels
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We stayed here during thanksgiving 2010, not an easy place to get to, but once we finally arrived it was worth it, our cabin was super comfy, the staff was amazing and the food was so great. The hot springs are nothing you have ever experienced, they has a few outdoor hot springs porting over to the main enclosed fancy hot spring. This is pretty much the perfect winter getaway. I am sure it equally amazing in summer. I will be back here soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank djoslin
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We just returned from a 3 day getaway to Dunton. It is a magical place in every regard. The feel/vibe is welcoming, warm, peaceful, and unique. The staff we met (Eric, Melanie, and Sous chef John), made us feel totally at home and looked after our every need. Exceptional. Our cabin, totally rustic on the exterior, was finely appointed with period furniture, wonderful bed, and just cozy to the max. The food? Unbelieveable. Lamb,creme brule, wonderful soups, ribs, breakfast made to order...we found it hard to wrap our brain around this place. Above the whole feel of the town, it was the people on staff and those we met, who truly made this a great experience. Hopefully, we will return again (and again).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
30.5 km away
30.6 km away
Hotel Columbia
Hotel Columbia
#3 of 11 in Telluride

Been to Dunton Hot Springs? Share your experiences!