“Charming but not always nice.”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #24 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I just returned from a stay in the Brown Palace. The building itself is beautiful with a stained glass ceiling and beautiful turn-of-the century details. They also offer afternoon tea in the lobby and set it up very nicely. There are a few eating options which I did not try and a spa in house that has a good reputation in town. However, the charm didn't always carry to the rooms. The room did have some charm but was not always good take on the heritage of the building. Furnishings seem a bit cheap and old (not in an antique sort of way). My colleagues stayed in the Comfort inn across the street which I learned shared the same owners. If you are here for business, as I was, I would opt for the Comfort Inn. You get more value. While I had to pay internet at a rate of $11 per day, they offered it to their guests for free. Other pluses for crossing the street is cheaper rates, larger rooms and breakfast included (although I hear it was hideous). If you happen to be staying while an event is happening, watch out for the noise which can quickly take over the space (ask for rooms higher up). Having said this, the service at the Palace was great. With only one exception, the front staff was extremely attentive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pacificarol
Ryan P, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent visit. I was very pleased to read your comments regarding our service and that you enjoyed different aspects of your stay including our stained glass ceiling in the atrium.

We pride ourselves on ensuring all our guests get a “Historic” hotel visit with all the modern amenities and furnishings available. I was very disheartened to hear this was not the case with your stay and I greatly apologize.

While our valued Comfort Inn guests do have several of the same amenities and services available to them, it is still not the same high-end luxury experience that can only be found at the “Brown Palace”.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your candid feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Ryan Pratt
Director of Front Office Operations

There are newer reviews for The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We spent 4 nights on the recently refurbished "Top of The Brown" floor. The hotel and room was beautiful and service generally very good with one major exception. We requested no feathers/down in the room due to allergies, via our hotel web site booking,2 separate phone calls to hotel before arriving, at arrival and for 2 days and nights to various departments. Everyone is kind , but never follows through. We were offered more down pillows and mismatched "army" looking blankets after a night of freezing. The pillow in the closet was soiled in a horrible way.
This was all conveyed at checkout and on the online after stay survey, but no response or formal apology other than the sweet lady at the front desk saying she was sorry and her manager would call.
The bellmen,valets, waitstaff and concierge were wonderful.
We enjoyed a very nice room service breakfast and dinner at The Ships Tavern and would have liked to had the time to eat at the other restaurants and have tea.
Overall we had a nice stay and enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL Brown Palace and would stay there again.
I would have given this 5 stars had I not had the filthy in room pillow and the lack of regard for my common allergy requests that took days to resolve. Having to sleep with towels as pillows and blankets is not 4 or 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NY-traveler63

Dear guest,
Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay.
I am extremely sorry and embarrassed to hear your experience with such a simple request as getting no feathers/down in your guest room. Our standard is to ensure every guest request is taken care of in a timely manner and then to follow up to ensure complete satisfaction, which obviously we failed in doing so. Please accept my sincere apologies.
I do wish to thank you for your comments regarding our bell, valet, wait staff and concierge. They are the very “soul” of our property and we are extremely honored to have such dedicated employees. I truly hope we are able to have you return again as a guest. I’m completely confident you will have a great experience.
Please contact me directly at rpratt@brownpalace.com to personally handle any reservation needs or request.

Ryan Pratt
Director of Front Office Operations

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was looking forward to our stay at the Brown Palace but ended up being disappointed. We had suite but the layout was such lounge area was unusable for acomodating guest. The room furnishings were outdated and it lacked basic amenities such as modern phones and mini-bar. I'm only giving it 2 stars because I appreciate historic buildings and architecture. But the room was not at all comfortable.

Room Tip: Take a critical inspection of the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you for sharing your critique and for staying with us recently at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa.

I am glad to know you appreciated the historic architecture of Denver's "Grand Dame", however, I am truly sorry to learn that the layout of your suite was not conducive to entertaining and had resulted in a less than comfortable experience.

We are pleased to offer an extensive selection of suite and room types with varying degrees of layouts and amenities all designed to meet the discerning needs of our guests. Our staff would be more than happy to show you available room configurations during your next stay so that we can ensure the room you receive is most appropriate for your particular needs.

We would be most grateful for an opportunity to turn your "disappointing" experience into a memorable one. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Was here for business for only 2 nights but what a wonderful night sleep. The workout room had a great selection and was very clean. Good location, walking distance to everything you need.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

We are grateful for your feedback and delighted to know you had a restful stay at The Brown Palace.

I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our fitness center and found the area to be well-maintained.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, whether for business or pleasure!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just back from Denver. Hotel has a lovely lobby, superb interior architecture and excellent room service. However, our room, a signature king, was tiny, hard Victorian chairs to sit in, no double sinks or sitting area as promoted or wardrobe and a strange teeny closet. Noise from the lobby made its way to our 4th floor around the corner room, which also faced the street. The thermostat had to be repaired right off the bat, but was attended to promptly. I don't think it ever worked properly.
If you like Victoriana, this is for you. If you like modern comforts, go elsewhere, especially at the prices. Very disappointed with this hotel. Nothing like described on the website.

Stayed: March 2012
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you very much for your willingness to share your recent experience.

Although we are pleased to know you enjoyed and appreciated several aspects of your stay, we are concerned to learn of your disappointment with your room accommodation. We are dedicated to providing our guests with superior comfort and style in all of our guest rooms and regret that we did not live up to that expectation with your particular room.

We would be most grateful if you would be willing to contact our Front Desk Manager, Ryan Pratt, at rpratt@brownpalace.com so that we may have an opportunity to learn more details surrounding your experience. We are hopeful you will return so we can provide you with a more comfortable stay in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.