“Finally, a Mexican restaurant with way more than burritos and enchiladas!”

7 Leguas Mexican Grille
Ranked #580 of 3,084 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 February 2017

This review is for the location at Cherry and Colfax; there is a second location at Colfax and Wabash, which I have not tried. It has the same menu.

Ever since being spoiled at a restaurant with wonderful authentic Mexican (not Tex-Mex) food in Las Vegas many years ago, I've been searching for a place on the east side of Denver that could live up to that experience.

I've actually been driving by 7 Leguas at Colfax and Cherry for over 3 years without noticing it - even while stopped at the light at that intersection! OK, so their street presence is not particularly exciting. In fact it kind of disappears into the general chaos of signs and storefronts on east Colfax.

That said, when I heard about this place at a Christmas party, people were raving about it. I couldn't believe it was the place I drove by about 300 times. So on New Year's day I stopped there for dinner.

The first few pages of the menu have the typical burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc. But then it gets interesting on the following pages of the large menu. Lots of chicken, pork, steak, seafood and fish dishes - with photos. I spent 15 minutes studying the menu before finally deciding on Camerones Envueltos a la Diabla - shrimp stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and cooked in a hot sauce.

The shrimp was incredibly tasty and the hot sauce was hot but perfectly so. I normally don't like the beans and rice that much at Mexican restaurants but both of those sides were really tasty. The avocado, tomato and lettuce helped cool down my mouth between bites of the shrimp. Needless to say I was a member of the clean plate club with this platter.

I've gone back twice to sample more items on the menu and enjoyed it both times. I've recommended this place to friends who like authentic Mexican food and they particularly enjoyed the seafood dishes.

The salsa is on the hot side but good. I haven't tried the margaritas yet. The service was attentive and everyone there seemed to be enjoying their food as much as I was.

Needless to say, this place is going to be on my short list of regular places to eat since there are at least 15 more items on the menu that look really good to me. Even the fajita combination selections are quite extensive.

There are newer reviews for 7 Leguas Mexican Grille

Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

We went here to eat after visiting the Denver Zoo. The staff was friendly and the food was very good. Everyone really enjoyed their meal. The only small negative that I have is that I had to ask for drink and salsa refills.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant, and I will be back when I'm in the area again.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

Stumbled across this excellent little Mexican restaurant on Colfax. Food was fantastic and very authentic. Margaritas were strong, but perfectly crafted. Service was some of the best I've had. We will be back!

Reviewed 8 December 2016

Been stalking the reviews for this place because I've been looking for a reliable "semi-authentic" Mexican restaurant and the reviews have largely been good for this place although the location kind of sucks for me (Colfax at Wabash). I'm willing to travel for good Mexican cooking though and was not disappointed at lunch today.

First of all it's a spruced up old Denny's or some such but it's clean and pleasant if a little too bright and maybe the Mexican music is a little too loud but the staff is friendly and there's a parking lot. Monday is a good day to go because the 12oz. house margaritas (which are quite tasty are - are you ready $2?) I had two and if I hadn't had to drive back home I might have had another.

When seated they bring you very good fresh chips with a surprisingly kicky slightly smokey salsa and a small bowl of what some people describe as slaw - whatever it is, it is very tasty. Take some time to look over the very extensive menu - a little overwhelming actually. Lots of traditional dishes (rellenos, burritos, tamales, enchiladas, etc.) Plus, pages of steaks, chicken, seafood, molcojetes). I went with my Mexican restaurant litmus test dishes - a soft chile relleno smothered green, a cheese and onion enchilada, and a side of beans. The relleno was exceptional - a whole freshly roasted chile poblano stuffed with white cheese and smothered in a slightly tangy pork filled green chile sauce. Best I've had in a long time. Cheese enchilada was very good as well and the beans were just like I like them - a little on the soupy side not a scorched pile of bean "mud". Friend had a combo plate with a chile relleno, enchilada, tamale and two tostadas (one guac and one bean). He was very pleased overall although not a fan of the bean tostada which I told him he should skip but he ordered it anyway.

Service was very prompt and friendly (some Spanish is useful when ordering), food came fairly quickly and it was hot and portions were more than generous. All this for just over $20+ tip. Great find and yes, I am a fan. Next time we'll try their other location (Colfax and Cherry) which looks a little more divey but only half the distance from my neck of the woods. Parking won't be as convenient though darn it.

Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

We read outstanding reviews and decided to try this restaurant. This Restuarant is warm, welcoming, and the food is delicious. My family and I had been on the road for the major part of the day as we were on our summer vacation visiting national parks. We were famished, and Griselda brought out our food quickly as she saw how hungry we were. We ordered the super nachos, and they were delicious and we also had the queso fundido which I highly recommend. Their tortillas were done just the way my family eats them. They have a good list of different Mexican beers which you must try. We ordered the parrillada and it was abundant. Their wait staff is exceptionally warm and helpful. Grizelda was the best! We will stop here from now on if we are ever In the Denver area.