“Indulgent!”

Sassafras American Eatery
Ranked #89 of 3,111 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We came on a Friday around lunchtime and had to wait about half an hour. Our bad for not making a reservation. The hours are weird here - they open early but close at 2:30 pm so if you are planning to stop by make sure you plan on that. The staff and friendly and helpful, and the food is delicious! We order a Menage a Trois mimosa and the Marie Leveau Bloody Mary, which was so spicy it came with a cooler drink (something green and pineapple flavored). I didn't need the cooler but it was a nice thought and I can see why they did it - the drink is SPICY but so good. We started with the fried pickles, which were nice and crispy but a little too salty. It also came with a hollandaise dipping sauce (the same hollandaise tops the meal I ordered, so for me, it was too much). My sister order the roasted vegetable grits which she enjoyed and I got the Cajun Benedict. My meal was delicious, and came with a said of grits, which I needed since there is no carb element. The whole thing was kind of mushy to be honest - shrimp and crab cake was soft, crawfish hash was soft, and poached eggs were soft. All good, of course, but all mushy. I was told when I ordered that they were out of oysters and I'd be getting fried shrimp, but when the food came out, I got fried oysters. Confusing, but a nice texture change. The of butter grits were amazing though. Overall a delicious and indulgent meal and I would come back to try other things!

1  Thank needa123

Reviewed 8 October 2017

We're there first time for Sunday brunch, returned there for the breakfast one of the other days. It is really tasty, and the have a lot of mimosas, and you can take 4 of them for a great price.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

After touring the Capital Building, we asked our guide for a recommendation for lunch. She suggested Sassafras. A short 3 block walk from the Capital it was easy to find and were we glad we did,

Wonderful menu ta New Orleans/ Cajun flare.

Many vegetarian and gluten free options.

Go there without reservations but you might want to call to make a reservation.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

In town for a long weekend and came here for brunch on a weekday. Service was excellent and everyone enjoyed our meals. Very good variety of items, with many elements being house made. Biscuits with duck fat gravy was a new experience for me and I would recommend it to others. Meal filled me up so I wasn't able to sample their deserts, but was looking at the Elvis is King milkshake (peanut butter, bananas, chocolate covered bacon). Maybe next time.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Of the weekend of great breakfasts, it was all outdone by the Belly Up at Sassafras. A huge portion of pork belly on top of grits? Sign me up and have me waddle away stuffed.