“Call Ahead to Get your Sass On!”

Sassafras American Eatery
Ranked #38 of 3,146 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2016

We called to ensure they were open due to the holiday weekend and they put our name on a list but still had to check in when we got there. It did help cut down on the wait time. Instead of 45 minutes it was 15. A definite to-do if you are going here! Otherwise you will wait and wait and wait.

We started with the beignets - super soft, fluffy, powdering, don't count-your-calories, must eat! (5.00).

My husband had the buttermilk biscuits with mushroom gravy, buttered grits (perfectly cooked) and a poached egg (12.00). Smoky, peppery and soft, if you like a bit more flavor go with a fried egg. I love poached eggs.

I had the fried green tomato benedict (11.00). Marinated green tomatoes, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, arugula, poached eggs, hollandaise sauce and corn-bread. So yummy is all I can say about this! If you have a hankering for fried green tomatoes get 'em!

I did have the spicy chai tea, I would not get again, it was small and not so spicy but if you have a hankering for it, go for it. My husband had the coffee and enjoyed it (3.50).

An interesting place to rest a while with a folksy art collection. Little dust collectors is what my nana used to call them all around the restaurant. Did not really notice the music that was playing. On a cold day do not think I would want the table we had, right by the door. Our server, Jennifer, was very helpful and friendly. All-in-all a good brunch experience!

Go there!

Reviewed 13 September 2016

When my family travels to Denver we typically eat at the same places. This time, we decided to branch out a bit. Based on a Westword review, we chose to eat at Sassafras. In summary, it would be hard for me to say enough good things about our experience. The location is near downtown Denver, right off of Interstate 25 and easy to reach. It is obviously designed to be a neighborhood eatery, located in a remodeled home in a residential area. The decor is very welcoming - rustic wooden tables with benches - and is bright and warm. Our service was amazing - attentive and friendly without being intrusive. We had a flight of four mimosas which were very tasty - the Rendevous was our favorite. The beignets were delicious with both house-made jellies (berry and pepper) - great with their well-rounded, medium bodied coffee. We tried the Biscuits and Gravies, Breakfast Po Boy and Cajun Green Chili Grits. All were absolutely delicious. The sausage gravy is made with house-made sausage which is nicely spiced without being hot. The unique grits dish had a medium heat green chili loaded with pork with a grit cake that was crispy outside, creamy inside with some tortilla strips for added crunch. Our family would happily eat at Sassafras any day, every day!

Reviewed 8 September 2016

Definitely a disjointed start to our breakfast visit to Sassafras (Capitol Hill). The front of the house was fairly chaotic - no one working the door, no apparent organization, it seemed like a bit of a free for all. Seeing two empty seats at the bar, we made our way there and actually got settled in, only to have a staff member tell us there was a waiting list. Looking around, we couldn't understand why. There were clearly open seats not only at the bar, but a number of tables around the room. Meanwhile, the time estimate we were given wasn't even close (it was less than half the time we were told.)

What Sassafras lacked at the outset, it more than made up for with the food. Huge fan of all things traditional NOLA, and the chicken fried eggs and buffalo hash was a nice take on a classic. Perfectly prepared, just the right amount of food, all washed down with really good coffee. (Cajun green chile grits were awesome, too.) Staff working the bar (where we ate) did a great job balancing all kinds of demands, and were perfectly attentive. Sassafras doesn't make my top ten breakfasts in America, but it gets a honorable mention. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 8 September 2016

If you want a GREAT breakfast, GREAT service and Mimosa's, Bloody Marys... EAT HERE!!! We have the Benidict, Key Lime Mimosa, and all American. Great food, We were so pleased with everything!

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

Came here in February with friends the day after the Broncos won the superbowl. Place has great ambience, super creative, and had a wait list of which they call or text you when they are ready so you can go for a nice walk if there is a wait. Sat down to see the "Panthers Blood" bloody Mary special, thought that was pretty creative. I had the biscuits and gravy, as this had been the theme of my trip in the southwest last winter. We don't have much of that in New York. It was fantastic. Perfectly moist with the sausage gravy and unbelievable taste that i still remember and so as I've joined trip advisor this fall, felt I should look back and write about a fee places on our trip that deserve some recognition. You won't regret it, all was made with love as cheesy as that sounds. Great brunch menu.

1  Thank Jeannie Z