“Pricey but Pleasant”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wazee
Transit: We are half a block from the lower downtown RTD station.
Reviewed 3 November 2018

Had a small family reunion here for lunch recently. The decor was sleek and modern, the dining room sunny and cheerful. Being from the Northeast, a land of fresh salmon, I hesitated to order the Little Gems Salad with salmon, but I need not have worried. The salmon was cooked creatively, with a crisp, piquant skin and juicy interior that perfectly blended with a fresh salad topped with a lively garlic-oregano vinaigrette. My companions all spoke well of other offerings, such as the Tuna Ceviche and the spiced hummus and veggies. The draft beer was crisp, cold, and altogether satisfying. My favorite surprise was the cool, creamy Berry Mess dessert. This place is a touch on the pricey side for lunch, but they do not stint on the quality.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Open atmosphere but could still carry on a conversation, lots of windows so you can watch the happenings/people walk by. Excellent service, had multiple small plates. The fish tacos and beet/pistachio salad was excellent. Get the roasted Brussels sprouts and turnips for sure. Good wine list and good selection by the glass. You’ll probably need a reservation

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Not sure about the other reviews as my wife and I found lunch here to be fresh and very good. We shared roasted carrots with ricotta dill, shrimp cornmeal hush puppies and the harissa chicken sandwich - all were excellent. I recommend them all. The only negative was that the service was only fair. Also, you may want to check the menu before going because the prices are on the high side for lunch.

Reviewed 20 September 2018

I was told the Kitchen in boulder is amazing, but only made to the Kitchen in Denver and it was a huge disappointment. The drinks and service were great, we sat outside and it was perfect, but the food was bland - both the chicken and the veggies were blah. Not bad, but not good either. I would not come here, find delicious food somewhere else instead.

Date of visit: September 2018
NeillB45, General Manager at The Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that the food was bland. I will make sure to address this with our culinary staff so we may prevent this in the future. Feedback is super important to us, so we appreciate the honesty.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

We were in Denver for the night at the end of a weekend wedding in Vail. I am originally from Denver and my Wife is a Chicago Native. We currently live just outside Chicago and are fortunate to be able to dine out regularly with our Daughter at restaurants from fast-food to fine dining.

The Hostess was accommodating to our walk in and quickly sat on the busy Labor Day holiday.

We were sat a nice table in the main dining room near the host stand which was comfortable for all.

The hostess stopped by to make sure we felt attended and we took the opportunity to ask her about a children’s menu. The hostess explained that a half portion of any entree may be ordered for our daughter. Perfect answer for a place with out a dedicated children’s menu.

After a bit of a wait for our Waitperson Corey, to take our drinks order we asked for a kiddie cocktail for our daughter to which we received a puzzled and frankly a bit off putting response from waitperson of “as in?” I explained a 7-up with grenadine, “oh, a Shirley Temple” was her response. I have frankly not heard a kids beverage called that in 20 years but ok.

We got our drinks and things moved along ok until we placed our entree orders. We requested the half portion of the ravioli for our to which Corey gave us a facial expression of complete distaste and explained we were could only the pasta (spaghetti dish) in a half portion. My Wife explained the hostess told us any entree could be split, to which Corey said we were misinformed. After a small bit of insistence she relented and promised to check with the hostess. I ordered. The Lamb Roast and my wife ordered the Pork Chop. Note: it was explained that the pork chop did not come with the side listed on the menu but came with grilled broccoli and a chimichurri sauce.

We received our Steamed mussels appetizer promptly and it was frankly delicious. And The interactions with Corey were behind us and we waited anxiously for our entrees.

My daughter’s ravioli with pesto was excellent and in the half portion requested. My wife eater enjoyed her pork chop. The grilled broccoli was excellent but the chop did have a rather extra large fat band on it. The fat is to be expected with a pork chop but it was nearly a centimeter thick which seemed a bit too much. The lamb dish I had was a disappointment. The lamb was much too well done for my taste and the bed of cous cous with piquillo peppers was lack luster and complete devoid of the pistachio and lamb demi.

Our waitperson asked how our first bites were before we could get a taste and was absent for the rest of our dinner. She did come to show us the dessert selections on the menu without asking how our meals were. Had she asked I would have given my feedback at that time. However she did not we declined dessert and paid our bill and left.

Overall the awkward service tainted the entire experience. The body language and inexperience of our server put us off completely.

The only dishes we would reorder would be the mussels and the ravioli.

This is a highly rated restaurant with fair but higher level pricing. At this level we expected much more from the server and the kitchen.

We won’t be back.