“Overbooked and Undermanaged”

Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center
Ranked #51 of 158 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed 20 October 2016

Location: The hotel is located in the Denver Tech Center area convenient to interstates and some pretty nice views. The area has some shopping, a large movie complex nearby and plenty of places to eat. Close to the hotel is a nice place to run for around a 5 mile round trip effort.

General: I do not recommend the hotel

Reception Area: The reception area is medium sized, but there is plenty of room to sit down and meet people. There are many shops and restaurants near the hotel and the hotel does provide a reception in the afternoon.
Room: I have no idea. Read below and find out why.
Upon my arrival near midnight, I and two of my business companions were told they had no rooms despite the fact that I had 6 rooms booked far in advance. Now, I do understand that hotels overbook to try and maximize revenue due to no shows (try to get money back if you don’t show up but then rent your room to someone else), however how a hotel handles such “walks” is telling of the hotel and its management.
When we arrived, as stated, we were told the inn is full. Seeing as how there was no manger nearby they said they would try to find another hotel for us. One of us was going to sent to a Holiday Inn and the rest to a Springhill Suites. When I mentioned that it did not seem appropriate to split us up for their mistake the person behind the counter told me it wasn’t his mistake. Training problem #1, the person behind the counter did not understand that he is a representative of Hilton Hotels and since he didn’t cause the problem I should be happy as a clam with how he was trying to resolve it. Rather than accept this rather poor and hostile response (I have left out a lot as it is somewhat petty), I called Hilton myself and found an Embassy Suites less than two miles away and they had over 20 rooms. Needless to say, we went there. One of my travel companions who was sent to the Springhill Suites told me it was an awful property.

Now, I would not necessarily have been so upset other than for a fatal flaw in the management of the situation. They knew by afternoon that they would not be able to accommodate my entire party. They did not call, email or make any other attempt to contact us. Further, they did not make arrangements for us until we actually showed up at the counter after a lot of traveling and in the end I was the one who ended up finding rooms. Perhaps, had they called, when we landed we could have stayed near the airport and traveled south the following morning. This shows a complete lack of courtesy for the customer. Last, they allowed three of my group to check in and did not inform them that the entire group would be scattered to the winds which creates a logistical/transportation problem. You would think a hotel like Hilton would know how to handle walks, but clearly either they didn’t or chose not to abide by company policy.

There is some good here. They did pay for the night at the other hotel, which is standard policy at most hotels, (maybe why they didn’t want to put us at the Embassy Suites was that it cost more?) and provided each affected party with 30,000 Hilton Honor points, but that took some cajoling, through the manager the following morning. I think the real problem here is lack of training for the night staff which is a reflection as much on the management as on the worker behind the desk who really does not belong in the hospitality industry.

It is for the above lack of how they handled the situation that I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone since they obviously did not hold back enough rooms and handled the situation poorly.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here, go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2016

Dear Stacey S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing an outstanding product and service experience and I'm sorry we failed to do that for you. Every now and then, our hotel is under-departed and we find ourselves in this kind of situation. I'm sorry you had to experience this for yourself.

The service you received certainly should have been handled differently and I will share your experience with our executive team.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and we will address your concerns with our team members so this never happens again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Check in and check out was easy enough. Room was clean, however cleaning staff had much to be desired. One day they left my room open, several days room had papers or non laundry items on floor (like the DND tag). considering the price paid, everything should have been in order

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business

Dear gchach63,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. This is certainly not the norm for us, and I do apologize that you had this experience.

I will speak with our Director of Housekeeping to share your experience and we will take the appropriate action to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

This Hilton garden in was a touch above all the rest in my opinion. Nice rooms with a classy look. Clean and fresh and very comfortable. Service was great, and location was perfect for my meetings. Highly recommend this HGI 9/10 in my opinion.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business

Dear spenton11,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Denver.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

Very accommodating staff. Spacious, well equipped rooms. A bit off the beaten track but handy if your business takes you to the Denver Tech Center. I would stay here again. Great breakfast buffet, fairly priced.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Dear Richard R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Denver!

Reviewed 4 October 2016

My two-night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Denver Tech Center was great. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff provided the best customer service that I have ever received. The next time I require accommodations I will be staying at a Hilton.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Mike M, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

Dear Cheri C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Denver.

Best regards,
Mike

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
0.5 km away
2.8 km away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Southeast
2.6 km away
TownePlace Suites Denver Southeast

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center? Share your experiences!