“awesome food, spotty service”
Review of Thai Satay

Thai Satay
Ranked #640 of 1,582 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Cuisines: Indonesian
Reviewed 3 June 2015 via mobile

I eat here on a regular basis. The food is wonderful. The kitchen is fast. Recommend chicken with peanut sauce and chicken param as a special treat. The staff are spotty. One is friendly and accommodating, while another is surly and overcharges.

1  Thank Hazelcade

Reviewed 3 May 2015

I'm glad this little "hole in the wall" is fairly nearby. I would probably drive across town now and then to eat here, because it's so good - but I don't have to.

I've enjoyed Pad Thai (of course), royal chicken, and several other dishes. Friends I've brought have not yet developed their favorites, so they tried other dishes. Not once has anyone been disappointed.

The "hot-ness" rating has been challenging. Four years ago, it was 1-5 rated for Americans; I liked about 2.5. Then they changed, and wow - 1 was pushing my heat boundary! It seems they have backed off again, and now 2 is about right for me. Knowing what to expect has been a challenge - but I'll take the risk. Delicious!

Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

Well, we were visiting family and friends from Hawaii & had been missing the delicious Thai food from the island, so we decided to take a chance on a hole in the wall close where we were staying. The atmosphere is "meh" and they could definitely use an upgrade & the bathrooms were lacking basic things like working soap dispensers (had to open and dump soap), and the service was nice but not super experienced or efficient, but whatever was lacking was made up in the taste of the food. Both my husband and I were surprised and elated with everything from the salt and pepper tofu to each of our entrees. I had specified that I was a vegetarian and asked to make sure that the salt and pepper tofu and the tofu paean were in fact vegetarian with no fish sauce etc. and was told that was the case. I guess my only worry now is reading the review just below from someone that clearly has frequented this spot! While I didn't taste anything (and I usually do) and didn't get ill....I have to say it is daunting to read such a review! If the restaurant is not doing the right thing or telling clients the right thing...it could definitely lead to more than just a loss of customers. Fingers crossed that waiter was incorrect and uninformed or that they have put measures in place to make sure this doesn't happen again (I personally don't understand why so many places like this have a vegetarian section that isn't vegetarian), but I am going to go with my personal experience here and give the benefit of the doubt based off a hope that things truly are as good as they were for us when we went!

Reviewed 8 December 2014

This review comes with a heavy heart. This restaurant WAS our favorite place here in the Springs up until about an hour ago. We have been going to Thai Satay on a regular basis for around 6 months. The first time we went we asked the server if they could make the Tofu Param dish and the Drunken noodle dish without fish sauce or oyster sauce. The first couple times of asking this the waiter had to go to the back and ask the kitchen staff and make sure, then he would come out and tell us it was good to go. They became familiar with us, and our same order, but at no time did we ever not mention to exclude these two, non-vegetarian items, from their “vegetarian” dishes, and they always have said it would be no problem. Tonight, on a recommendation from us, our culinary class came to eat here. We again asked the server, who we had just last visit, to leave out the fish sauce and oyster sauce. This time, however, another server came to assist her and told us that would be impossible as they prepare their sauce ahead of time and it’s already mixed in…what!? So, I said we order this way every time and have never been told this, even last time BY THAT SAME SERVER, have you been lying to us? They didn’t respond to that. So, two possible scenarios here…1 they lied to us, in which they have seriously shot themselves in the foot, or 2 they have a very uneducated wait staff with an extremely lazy kitchen staff. I will no longer be recommending this place to anyone after tonight, and certainly if you have an allergy or dietary restriction, pass this place on by! They have zero integrity and honesty and could possibly kill you!

2  Thank Evan C
Reviewed 3 September 2014

Came here with a large group for lunch. The place itself is not much to look at but the waiter was friendly and welcoming when we came in. I ordered the pad thai and it was really delicious! I wasn't sure based on the description if I had ordered chicken or shrimp pad thai but it was actually a combination of both. The portions here were pretty big. The flavors of this dish were just perfect, it was actually so tasty that I continued to eat even though I was really stuffed. I was very happy with my meal!