“Noodle bowl needs improvement”
Review of Mekong Vietnamese

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mekong Vietnamese
Ranked #803 of 1,478 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Reviewed 2 July 2016

Being Vietnamese, I really wanted to like this place, but the sad, dry rice noodles in my Bun bowl let me down (pronounced “boon?” – yes, like you’re asking it as a question).

The grilled meats in my noodle bowl seemed to have been pre-grilled then re-heated in a microwave as they possessed none of the fresh, fire-charred flavor you'd expect from a grill. And the seasoning seemed was off the mark and didn't have the umami I've experienced at other Vietnamese restaurants.

On the other hand, the fresh spring rolls were delicious. The Hub's pho was decent, and I regretted that I didn't get that instead.

As for atmosphere, I never walk into these mom-and-pop places expecting much in the way of cool vibes. However, the male owner sat in one of the corner booths, staring at pretty much nothing the entire time... until his cell phone rang. And then it was just weird that as Hubs and I tried to talk to each other, he sat there and continued his one-sided conversation rather than go into the back or out in the parking lot. I guess if my food had been better, I wouldn't have cared.

At least the lady who served us was very pleasant, and prices are reasonable!

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Not much to look at, but the food is divine. The Pho is truly exceptional, as is the Noodle and Beef # B2. Owner and staff are friendly and helpful, but the Pho... did I mention it's divine?

And at lunch they have a $3.99 Pho special...