“Good value; difficult to find”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Fruita, Colorado
“Good value; difficult to find”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel is listed with a different name on most travel sites; something like the Broker Inn. Your only clue is a small sign outside the hotel. To see that, you have to find it! So it is difficult to find except by a process of elimination withe the address.

I booked [and prepaid for] this hotel for my sister and nephew. On check-in, I was asked for photo ID by an over-officious clerk. Way to create a bad first impression. Even though I was not a guest, she demanded I provide it 'in case my credit card was stolen'. The room was prepaid. If it had been only me, I'd have walked away at this point but my family members were tired. The room was OK. The price was OK. The room was comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2011

They had a special on the executive suites. $79 I think. The hotel is next to the University if that matters to you. You walk into a lobby with lots of dark wood, but openn and airy. It's obvious this was an old hotel. The dining room and bar are of the same oldtimey heavy wood type.
A
The room was a full suite with a huge living room with sofa, coffee tabe, big TV built in. Separate bedroom behind doors, dressing room, new bath, Just loved it. Now to be honest, if you are fuusy, the old girls was showing her age around the edges. The hall catrpet was liffle iffy. But if you appraciate the old rather than stark, sterile modern, you'll love the place. If I have to go back to Boulder I'll defijnitely stay there

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Spent 3 nights here and loved it! Breakfast was served in the restaurant area and included eggs, hashbrowns, oatmeal, pastries, cold cereal, juice and coffee, I'm sure I left some things out but you get the picture. Room was clean and comfortable, AC worked well. Bathroom floor could have used a deep cleaning, grout was a little dirty but it was mopped and clean. Only thing I would fix is the hot water.... there is none! Warm is as good as it gets which was ok in summer but if staying in winter don't expect a steamy hot shower.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed at the Rodeway Broker Inn, Boulder for three nights—a long weekend attending a cultural program in Boulder, and visiting with some friends and acquaintances. It was a pleasant stay, and a very good value in a rather expensive area.

The room was spotlessly clean. The walls and ceiling seemed to have been repainted recently, white and off-white respectively, and the rug was very clean and seemed new, as well. The upholstered couch and padding on the desk chairs were also spotless, literally, not even any water stains. The room looked like the photos at the hotel Web site, right down to the clean, relatively-new bedspread. There were charming old-fashioned touches such as lace curtains instead of the usual slick white sheers for letting daylight in, and an interestingly-framed (but clear and useful) mirror.

The air conditioning unit worked well and relatively quietly. The room had a refrigerator, which worked well, was also clean and fully functional (no missing shelves, was already cold when I arrived). There was also a coffee-maker, but with coffee available in the lobby and Starbucks a few blocks away, I didn’t use it.

I slept quite comfortably. The mattress seemed relatively new. It was clean and comfortable.

The staff was friendly and courteous—at check-in, when I stopped at the desk verifying directions to various nearby places, when I needed a band-aid for a blistered foot, and when I checked-out.

As other reviewers have mentioned, lots of moderately-priced restaurants nearby; I also appreciated a Sprouts (produce and healthy food store chain) right next door. The inn is quite near University of Colorado dorms and campus; hiking and biking trails are very close by. Pearl Street Mall is two miles away—it’s a lovely walk mostly through the University of Colorado campus, but one can also take a bus most of the way. The Broker Inn Web site offers shuttle service to Pearl Street Mall and to other points of interest, but I didn’t look into that. The weather was lovely, and I enjoyed the walk to the mall.
The coin-operated guest laundry on the main floor was spacious, clean and functional. I didn’t use the pool.

I’m not a breakfast-eater, but, out of curiosity, looked at the breakfast buffet while fetching some morning coffee. It seemed quite extensive. In addition to a variety of cold cereals, breads, pastries, juices, and coffee and milk options, a pot of hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and, next to the eggs, some kind of potato dish.

There were only a couple of outlets for the many electronics I carry with me, but one was near the desk and another near the couch, locations convenient for getting work done comfortably while charging my laptop, iPad, and phone. This was adequate.

Iron and ironing board were clean, and functioned well, and the iron wasn’t tethered to the board as it is at some places—I consider untethered irons easier to use.

The bathroom was functional but the grout between tiles was stained and cracked. The important cleaning had been done well, but there was dust atop the hair drying unit and the little ledge formed where tile goes to painted wall. The shower worked well; the water didn't get very hot but neither was it uncomfortably cool.

The stairwells were unattractive concrete, stained but clean. They were conveniently located. Since I was on the second floor, I used an elevator only for bringing my luggage in and out; the elevators seem okay to me.

The high-speed Internet seemed reliable and reasonably fast.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Any hotel can have bed bug problems in a room, since travelers can bring them in with them, but I believe this one was handled inappropriately and irresponsibly, and has put my home at risk of an expensive bed bug infestation.

On July 14, 2011, I checked into this hotel, having made a reservation about a month earlier, and was given room 402. Upon making my standard bed bug check, I found that the box springs in both beds were bloodied by bed bugs that had had blood meals and then been crushed into the box springs, a standard and convincing sign of bed bug activity; see the accompanying photos. I reported the problem to the front desk clerk, who promised that someone would take a look. When nobody had done so an hour later, I inquired again, and was told that the person apparently was not going to get around to it that day. I then asked for a different room, and was successively told these things: (1) Though not everyone had checked in yet (this was about 6 pm), all rooms were assigned to reserved guests, and no changes to the assignments would be made, nor did the desk clerk take the room off line and give me another while waiting to see whether there were any cancellations or no-shows. (2) The hotel could not move me to another Choice chain property, and in fact the nearest one with a vacancy was something like 200 miles away, in Glenwood Springs. (3) Nor could they move me to any other hotel in the area, which was booked up. (I did discover later that there had been a vacancy at the Boulderado in the city, but I recognize that that move would have cost them much money, though not nearly as much as a bed bug infestation would cost me.) At no time did the desk clerk actually express any concern about this problem.

I was dead tired, and after considering sleeping in my car or driving five hours to Glenwood Springs, I decided that the only realistic choice I was being given was to sleep in room 402 on one of the beds with the bloodied box springs.

The promised maintenance person showed up three days later on July 17, immediately agreed that the blood was the result of bed bug activity, and did get the desk to agree to move me to room 232 for my last night's stay. This room did not have any signs of bed bugs.

I was told that my concerns needed to be taken up with the hotel's general manager, who would not be available until the day of my departure. I made an appointment to meet with him that day, after changing my travel plans to allow that. I was assured that he knew of the appointment and topic and would be there, which was during his regular office hours anyway, but upon showing up at the agreed upon time and also at an alternate one when I understood he would also be there, in both cases I was told, "he is not available".

Upon return home, I spent a good part of two days carefully washing and closely inspecting all my luggage, climbing gear, clothing, and other materials taken to Colorado, and heat treated everything I could with a very hot hair dryer. No bed bugs have shown up yet in my home, and I continue to have my fingers crossed that it won't happen.

Hotel and motel rooms in Boulder tend to book up during the summer, and having stayed in years past in the once grand Boulder Broker Inn (the former name of the facility) I had looked forward to this stay. It was a mistake, and if you decide to stay there, you had better have alternate plans so that you don't get handed the Hobson's choice I was given.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AnnArborMiBob

Travellers are raving about these Boulder hotels