“Surprisingly good!”

Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 14 January 2017

We stopped in on a lark and were pleasantly surprised.
We split a Chicken Wings, hot – they were not the classic hot wings you get in most places, but they were good and there was a generous bleu cheese helping with them. You can get them as BBQ and Honey Mustard, too. My wife tried a South of the Border Burger, which was massive and featured fried Jalapenos and Jack cheese. There are 18 to choose from. I ordered a Rueben, which was also impressively large. And the taste was good. There are 16 different sandwiches and 10 salads on offer. If you can’t find something you want, you must not be hungry.
They pour a real half- and half, something I don’t see too often these days.
There was a pretty good crowd but there were a couple of empty tables. Probably a good idea to book ahead, though.

Reviewed 9 December 2016

Fish and Chips! Delicious burgers, salads, pasta... AMAZING french onion soup.

Staff and owner are wonderful!

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Ok, I ordered a Chili Burger with Mexican spices and I hated it. But my wife ordered a burger with raspberry sauce and loved it. So... they made a Cuban sandwich for me for free (which I liked) and then comped my beer. In the end I would say it's just a matter of how daring you want to be and whether you like it, but they'll treat you well no matter what.

Reviewed 23 September 2016

We live nearby and have been eating here for years. The atmosphere is cozy and pub-like. The wait staff is usually very nice. But I stopped going last year because the food was just not that good, and it's kinda pricey for what you get. I would love for them to improve and have a good neighborhood restaurant to frequent!

Reviewed 18 September 2016

Four years ago I wrote a quite favorable review of the Hungry Toad. The latest visit was frankly a disappointment. The 30 minute wait for the fish and chips, the subject of my early praise, was excessive. The friendly waitperson was nowheres to be seen during this time. So the salads were not delivered. (She did comp the excellent Guinness'). When the entrees did arrive, the fish was overcooked and the fries were very stiff, probably due to too long under the heat lamp. And the often mentioned noise level in the restaurant was the worse we had experience, perhaps due to the almost 50% of tables having young children, mostly infants through preschool age. And this was at 7:30 pm.

Been to Hungry Toad? Share your experiences!