“Flat out YUM!”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We specialize in authentic Ethiopian dishes, offering delicious vegetarian and meat entrees. Try our sambussa appetizers and our African wines and beers.
Erie
“Flat out YUM!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I love the food here. It is unique to Ethiopia and really tasty. Fine for veggie or carnivore. It is all served on a big platter atop injera sponge bread. You will love the way this light and healthy bread goes with everything.

Wash your hands when you get there because you eat without utensils, using only the bread. It is not messy. Out of respect, you should remember to use your right hand only when eating. The food is wonderfully flavorful, but it probably has a lot of sodium, because the next day our wedding rings are really tight from puffy fingers. If you have issues with sodium, this may not be the best choice for you.

The only thing I do NOT like is that sometimes the server will show you 'how' to eat this food. The server will put the plate on the table, then wrap up a piece of food and hand-feed it to one of the guests at your table. Maybe it is a cultural thing for the servers at Ras Kassa's, but eewww!

I don't think they realize that most Americans are uncomfortable with this. My husband has been 'fed' twice as have a few guests of ours. They were all VERY uncomfortable and grossed out. I think this is because a stranger is directly touching your food with their hands and sticking it in your mouth. It feels too intimate for a stranger to hand feed me. I excuse myself, just before the food is served to avoid this. Sure wish they wouldn't do this!! Otherwise, the food is great!

Visited December 2011

Thornton, Colorado
“Very tasty food, high prices-small portions, not good if you have an infant with you.”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The food was very good, we especially liked the chicken, lamb, the fish and the Honey Wine (delicious!). The fish in particular was outstanding - wish I could get the recipe! However the special for 2 people ($40) was quite skimpy on the portions. I was rather disappointed when my wife and I had to share one skinny chicken leg and a boiled egg. Same with the small fish filet and the six 1/4 inch sized lamb pieces. The honey wine sells for $6/glass, which means the food cost $28 for the 2 person platter. Quite honestly, the food was good, but not $14/person good.
Also, we have an 8 month old baby and were not happy that they only had one high chair in the building (which of course another baby was already using). We were left having to eat with one hand while holding the baby with the other arm all night.

So if you like great tasting Ethiopian food this is a great place and the host/servers were friendly. I had to remove a star in the rating for the price-to-portions size ratio and not catering well to those with infants.

• Visited January 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Best Ethiopian Restaurant in 3 cities!”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My husband and I ate dinner at Ras Kassa's in December and it was fabulous. They are busy, but we had made reservations. (I recommend you make reservations if you will be dining during a weekend evening.) The staff is very warm and friendly without making you feel out of place. The atmosphere is casual. We ordered the meat and veggie combination for two...delicious! It included chicken stew, red lentils, green lentils, lamb stew, greens, wild salad, sweet potatoes, and several other offerings along with the usual spongy bread. They have a decent wine and beer selection as well. I highly recommend this restaurant - it is the best Ethiopian we've tried (including restaurants in Dallas and Chicago.)

• Visited December 2011
“Savory!”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

What a wonderful experience. I have only high praise for the staff, the atmosphere and of course, the flavorful, fun food! Be advised that the tastes are exotic but offer great variety for vegetarians. Sit at a table if you have a bad back. Remember to eat with your right hand, as it is considered disrespectful to eat with the left. (FYI I am left handed) You will love this place!

MD
“Wonderful food and beautiful outdoor seating area”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I always try to eat at Ras Kassa's whenever I am in town on business. They have a great selection of vegetarian entrees. My favorite is the butternut squash but the spicy veggie combo is a close second.

Eat out next to the creek if you can. It is beautiful and surprisingly peaceful.