“Great Little Find, Rey's Little Kitchen!”

Rey's Little Kitchen
Ranked #38 of 303 Restaurants in Whittier
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Reviewed 15 September 2015

On a fun shopping adventure to King Richard's Antique Mart in Whittier, CA we found ourselves starving for a bite. Lo and behold, right next to King Richard's is this little gem! We walked in to see that there were only two other customers, which often sends up a red flag, however it was mid-afternoon during the week so probably not surprising that the lunch crowd had come and gone. Regardless, we were promptly greeted, invited to select our own table, and were provided with menus and a swift basket of chips and salsa while we perused the menu. There is a somewhat eclectic gathering of food items, some definitely Mexician (which is what we wanted) and then normal lunch fare of sandwiches and burgers. The young man who served us provided answers to our many questions about menu items, which prompted me to order the chili relleno combo which gives you one hearty chili relleno, beans and rice. Trust me, that was PLENTY of food, and delicious, too! Another guest had the three taco combo but requested that one taco be soft and the other two crispy, all beef. The waiter was happy to customize her order and she was delighted with both types but actually preferred the soft taco, never having had one before. Final guest enjoyed three crispy beef tacos and was happy with his selection. I can see that if I lived closer that this would be a frequent haunt of mine, but I will definitely enjoy this super reasonable and ALL HOMEMADE menu items the next time I'm in Whittier. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served, so pick your time!

Reviewed 3 March 2015

Rey's Little Kitchen is a small, family-owned restaurant attached to King Richard's Antiques in Whittier, CA. It is small, but very popular. It has awesome, authentic Mexican food. One of my favorite things to eat in any Mexican Restaurant, is....soup! They have menudo, pozole, albondigas (meatball), cocido (beef & vegetables) and chicken (with veggies) all at the same time! Most Mexican restaurants have 1 or 2 depending on what day of the week it is. Soooo good! I had pozole both times I went. It is the red variety, but not too spicy. My friends ordered other dishes that looked just good, and they commented on how well they liked it. I recommend you call ahead if you have a party larger than 6. Although they can do so, if there is more than one large party, there may be a wait. Worth the wait, though!

Reviewed 16 November 2014

One of our favorite places burned up their kitchen & restaurant recently (Scotty's), and we'd already lost Polly's Pies two years ago, so we were in need of a new breakfast & lunch place with decent food and fair pricing.

Entered a YELP search and found "Rey's Little Kitchen" on Penn Ave near the antique shops on Whittier Blvd about 2 miles east of the 605 freeway. We read up on 20 plus reviews, most of them glowing and said "Ok, let's give it a shot."

My wife and I were glad we did. One of the longtime waitresses from the Greenleaf Cafe in uptown Whittier started this one, and she sure did well. Great food, reasonable prices, and decent service.

I'd gush all over it, but my wife just did a YELP review and posted pics this morning (11/16/14) so I'll just say "I've found my new breakfast and lunch spot."

Just go if you're in the area. We had a sumptuous breakfast with coffee, machaca, and a Denver omelette w/avocado and the bill was under $21 w/sales tax. Couldn't even finish it all, there was that much food. Just nuts.

At least I know where I'm going during the week for the $4-6 breakfast and lunch specials. I'd give it five stars, but it's fair to do that after the 2nd or 3rd visit to make sure it's consistent, not that I'm worried about that knowing the proprietors!

Enjoy!