“Disappointing Lunch at Mimi's”
Review of Mimi's Cafe

Mimi's Cafe
Ranked #109 of 299 Restaurants in Whittier
Cuisines: American, French
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Have not been to Mimi's for some time, and doubt we will return. The lunch we had was not worth it. Service was very friendly and efficient. If only the food were the same caliber. I had brunch, poached eggs that were just fine, a muffin that was overheated in the microwave and was kind of tough and tasteless, and so-so sausage. My cousin ordered the veggie pasta, a big mistake. It was unappetizing looking when served - a bowl of grey rather oily tasteless pasta with mushy colorless veggies (squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and one piece of leathery onion. Across the top were a couple of strips of dry, charred bread. Upon leaving we noticed a couple at the next table preparing to leave. On their table was an almost full bowl of the same sorry looking pasta. Enough said.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

Is it just this location or is this happening to all Mimi's? New decorating should not mean lowering quality of food and standards. Twice in a row it has been disappointing. Dinner found a black hair in my fish and chips. Server and manager were very nonchalant about it - offered me 2 muffins for the problem. Also did not honor the 2 for 1 coupon even though every person had ordered a full dinner and drinks. Yesterday ordered a chicken salad for lunch, lettuce and dressing were very tasty but I had to search to find 3 extremely small pieces of chicken, each less than an inch long and a sliver wide - the other person ordered a Cobb Salad listed as having turkey as the meat and again she had to search to find the turkey. They have recently redecorated the restaurant, that is very nice, but they have definitely fallen short on their quality/quantity of their food. Mimi's is constantly changing their menus and I wonder if they have every heard of the old adage "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"??? I not only miss many, many of the old menu items that made Mimi's so popular, I miss the quality that Mimi's used to present in their dishes. One group of my friends and myself have gone to Mimi's for several years for lunch once a month, we recently changed to another restaurant because of the menu changes and quality of the food. Sad because Mimi's was one of my favorites for so many years.
I am rating Service on my experience yesterday, the server was very good, but I would rate the Server I had for the previous dinner as Poor. Although our salads, at yesterdays lunch were tasty they lacked the meat that was advertised on the menu so I am rating the Food as Poor because mine was lettuce, dressing and a few mandarin oranges and scallions. Sad to see this happen to one of my favorite places.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

Move over Rosco's chicken and waffles, Mimi's cafe makes a chicken and waffles that competes well with yours.

Their lightly breaded tender chicken and light crunchy waffles are comfort food done right and definitely hits the spot any time of day. It's definitely a go to entree if you don't know what to get. The New Orleans, French setting also helps with the authenticity.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

Mussels in white wine with butter and garlic are a standard in every good French restaurant. These were disappointing in that the chef overdid it by adding ingredients to make a cheese sauce and not letting the seafood speak for itself. But, the French Dip sandwich and Tuna Melt were very good. Also, the Cobb salad was excellent and large enough for two meals. Beware if you have blood pressure issues, their food is very salty. Service was excellent and there was really no crowd at lunch despite a busy day in the Whittwood Mall. They serve breakfast all day which is wonderful!

Reviewed 16 November 2015

Love the atmosphere at Mimi's for 25+years now.... it is true though that a lot has changed and we do miss some of the older menu items. Mussels were a good choice tonight but the salmon was dry and boring. I make it better myself actually. The $5 wine offer sounds good but they are so skimpy with the pour that it makes you feel mislead. We will go to the Mimi's chain but do miss the "way it used to be".