“Revitalized With Family Chef”

Zumayas Mexican Cafe
Ranked #12 of 301 Restaurants in Whittier
Reviewed 30 October 2017

This is a family business that has been in Whittier for many years. It was okay, but I understand that the owner's son studied at the Cordon Bleu in NYC and came home to take over kitchen duty. Since then, it has really taken off. Crowded most days, but especially weekends. Get reservations or be ready to wait outside. Not a lot of seats. Really good Mexican cuisine. Fresh, fresh, fresh! I understand that new chef makes all sauces fresh each morning and you can taste it. Guacamole was delicious with homemade chips just out of the fryer. Tortilla soup was nice and spicy with fresh chips. I enjoyed the chicken enchilada with mole sauce and a toss of sesame seeds. The sauce had just the right balance of sweet chocolate and spicy flavors. At my table, others enjoyed the tacos, burritos, chile rellenos and the carnitas--very lean and tasty. All were very satisfied! Definitely the best in town! They serve breakfast on the weekends and are open late weeknights for dinner.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

We were staying across the street at the Doubletree Hotel and were looking for something more than hotel food and visited here.
We each had something different Migas, Chorizo, Menudo and Pozole which were all great.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I recently had dinner here on a Friday night. It's located across from the Doubletree, an easy walk for my lazy self! I had shrimp enchiladas and they were tasty. A little on the spicy side, but good. Restaurant has that old school Mexican vibe! Will be back when in town.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

I ate there for lunch about a year ago. I didn't care much for the food. I think there are many other Mexican places in Whittier that are much better.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I've gone here for years during fairly regular visits to LA. It's cozy and friendly, and the food is always good. This time I came for breakfast and had the machaca, one of my favorite Mexican egg preparations. This is one of the best plates of machaca I've ever had - really good balance of meat to scrambled egg, but not heavy. With homemade tortillas and good salsa, this was an excellent breakfast!