All reviews recording studio bedroom villa koi pond rock star dead end street whiskey bar rock and roll equinox gym main building tucked away home from home beautiful property great bar low key an update concierge desk residential street
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Shared the evening with friends at Bar 1200 at the Sunset Marquis Hotel. Adam Chester from Elton John's band was on Piano. Adam is simply amazing! The staff at Bar 1200 is exceptional. Brilliant evening!!!

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

The Sunset Marquis has two distinct personalities. The Villas provide privacy and seclusion from the West Hollywood hustle while the main hotel area reminds you of the days of spring break and looking down at people in the pool. My review is of the villas only. The restaurant is excellent, the bathroom amenities, Molton Brown, are plentiful and appreciated and the new TVs are fun. Yes it is Bluetooth compatible. The room had robes, slippers, fruit, minibar, balcony, and some dark hallways to the bathroom. Lighting is dim in the bathroom. They need to change this. When you stay in the villas confirm whether or not it includes a breakfast. Ours did and the meal and tea were wonderful.
I have used the Spa services. I had an hour massage and it was in an building across the restaurant but you do not hear anything. I used my free manicure coupon with my paid massage and was worth it. When I went to the spa, I bought some products and Sunset Marquis shirts. I did not go there on my last visit so it may have changed.
My teen daughter and I ate lunch and spent a day by the pool closest to the villas. Some areas may be reserved so go early or check often. Towels are large and thick and chairs are comfortable while there are some umbrellas that you can adjust or move. You may need help but everyone is helpful. You will hear a variety of music around the pool as the playlist that day was one of the guest’s to wireless system. I visited the other pool when the “villa” pool had a function. It is by the main entrance and rooms that have walkouts.
Check in is easy and if you are in the villas please have the bellmen take your bags. The villas are on 1 or 2 floors and there are no elevators, at least in the ones we have stayed. They haul the bags upstairs and across the stone pathways.
Give some time for check out as there is usually just two at the front desk and the valet takes some time to get car.
One of the reasons for one less “star” for my rating of this hotel concerns the parking/ valet issue. I know it’s on a dead end street and by private residences, but the valet guys need more help to retrieve cars from the parking garage or wherever. Even when I’ve called ahead there were times when we waited for a car that was never retrieved. It’s frustrating and the system needs better communication and more guys available to work. Of course I tip accordingly.
Since laws in California concerning marijuana have changed, at times a considerably strong odor is present in common outdoor areas. I did not smell anything at the pool nor restaurant. Just FYI ....

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2018

I booked this hotel for myself, my husband and our teenage daughter to stay for a few nights at the start of our California road trip. I loved this hotel so much that I ended up changing other accommodation and booking back in at the end of our trip two weeks later. The staff are superb and were very helpful. The rooms were immaculate and our one bedroom suite was a good size with a great bathroom. A lovely birthday gift was left for our daughter and there was also complimentary wine, fruit, water and a dessert plate. The hotel has a relaxed vibe, but with excellent service. Its in an excellent location just off Sunset Boulevard, yet feels like its a resort well away from the big city. If you join the rewards programme before booking you get free wifi included in the room price.

Room Tip: If you join the rewards programme before booking you get free wifi included in the room price.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Summer getaway from NYC to LA. This hotel housed a lot of great musicians and stars. Arrived at midnight from New York. Staffs are ready to receive us and lead us thru a beautiful garden to our one bedroom villa. Lovely hotel but both swimming pools are small. One of them filled with kids. Got a little view of downtown. Location is good, few mins away from Beverly hill if you want to do some shopping. Restaurant staffs/ pool side are a little miserable but saw the manager and had a word so hopefully they will improve. Bar was lovely and so does the art work around. Breakfast was good too. Concierge staffs not as helpful as I thought and not used to as I travel often and use the concierge most time to book for my local tour/ dining etc but don't rely on this one. Room was a bit dark even with all the lights on. got a mini outdoor area which was a bonus. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: I took a one bedroom villa but next time i am happy to try a room on higher floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2018

A hotel with a rich rock heritage employing a DJ to play lame loud house music on a Saturday lunch time is annoying enough, but when every single member of staff from the manager to the security ignores your request to turn it down that is unacceptable. So much so that we were forced checked out a day early. I have been coming to the Sunset Marquis for 15 years and never have been treated so badly. This is also a hotel that makes you sign a ‘no party’ agreement then ignores it to annoy the hell out of the guests. Soon enough they’ll stop coming and they’ll wonder why.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple