All reviews recording studio bedroom villa rock star dead end street whiskey bar rock and roll equinox gym main building tucked away home from home beautiful property low key an update concierge desk residential street cool hotel los angeles
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I have stayed here off on for something approaching 30 years.
Always have a warm glow walking into this LA home from home.
Perfectly situated for the nearby strip, this is essentially a motel style hotel adapted thro’ the years into a very funky 4 star hotel with a fab restaurant, pools, spa and recording studio with superb easy going staff. The rooms are generous in size, the bungalows are quite special as are the ground floor poolside rooms.
The Whisky Bar is an essential evening ‘hang’.
Guests are a mixture of deal makers, hustlers, smooth operators and a good smattering of ageing rockers.
Non combatant guests must wonder if they are extras in a music biz version of The Player.
There are minor issues, the original pool side building looks a little shabby. The window frames need replacing and the mass of visible wires and cabling in the restaurant are an irritant. They overplay the music business angle of the hotels heritage by displaying unnecessary ‘Hard Rock Café’ style displays of guitars-no need for this as this hotel is live theatre for the music business on a daily basis-you could sell tickets. I don’t need it rammed down my throat at every opportunity.
Nevertheless, the Marquis is a classic, a legendary boutique hotel which led the way-a must on your worldwide hotel tick box

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2017

First time staying at this hotel, very nice the first room that i had.
I had to go out of town for a few days so checked out on my return back to the property i was advised that my room was not ready and if i left my phone number they would call some 3 hours later still no call... so i put a call in and was then told my room was now ready kind of a waste of time to leave numbers if they dont inform guests when rooms are ready...
I spend a lot of time In LA and i dont think i will choose to stay here again. the only saving grace its close to one of my favourite spots for breakfast

Room Tip: go for a room that over looks the pool
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank David L
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Love everything about this place - from the food, the rooms, the staff, the pool - just everything. I will be staying only here when I am in Los Angeles as I can't fault this place. Hi and thanks to everyone there for such a wonderful Oasis in the LaLa Land desert.

Room Tip: Just ask for the size you want - from solo traveller to family/celebrity suites.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

2 nights stay at the sunset marquis, the hotel is good, the rooms are a bit dark, but pretty large and I had the chance the have a balcony.
The restaurant is just amazing, very nice food and service.
The location is really good, very quiet.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We were wowed 8 years ago and thought this stay couldn't get better, but it did. They remembered us and were so gracious from the valet, bellman, front desk absolutely everyone. When we opened the door to our villa they had a big happy anniversary display of champagne, boss water, chocolates dipped strawberries and a lemon tart out of this world. The pool is private and inviting, there wer many other guests there but we seemed to be on own little island. The restaurant was over the top, the beef steak tartare was perfect( not to many places even have it on the menu) and Sunday brunch had the type of assortment of quality foods you would expect from a 5 star restaurant. All in all we wer sad to leave, this is a hidden gem in the West Hollywood/LA area.

Room Tip: Corner Villas or suites are the way to go
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple