All reviews recording studio bedroom villa rock star dead end street whiskey bar rock and roll equinox gym main building tucked away home from home beautiful property low key an update concierge desk residential street cool hotel los angeles
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The Sunset Marquis really is a wonderful hotel. The beds are the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in and the staff are really friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Although relatively expensive, it is definitely value for money. We intend to go back to LA next year and will be staying at the Marquis!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor if you are a light sleeper, you can sometimes hear noise from the bar on the 1st and 2nd floors.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I've stayed at the Sunset Marquis twice already and I look forward to getting back! The Villas are extremely spacious and spotless, the pool villa is quiet, the food is exquisive and the staff is extremely attentive. I've searched in LA for many years to find a classy hotel with unpretentious and skilled staff, providing a homey feeling. I've now found it, thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a Villa which balcony is not overlooking La Cienega
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I loved this hotel. It's expensive but worth it. Steeped in rock n roll history with lots to look at. We had one of the signature bungalows for three nights which was set in a wooded area lit with fairy lights at night, quite magical. The bed was without doubt the most comfortable I have ever slept in and I wanted to take the pillows home ( but resisted!) Bathrooms superb with huge bath and enormous rainshower.
Staff were mostly very good. They are a bit full on with the old expectation of tipping and one night we got chased halfway back to our bungalow by a member of the bar staff who reminded us that we had 'forgotten to add a gratuity'.
Pool areas are nice and there is an air of opulence without the stuffiness that you sometimes get in upmarket hotels. Would have liked to have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Not alot more for the bungalows if you take advantage of the upgrade offer in advance, and these are double the size. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Location: excellent, in West Hollywood, convenient for restaurants, Beverly Hills, Hollywood/ Sunset boulevards, Santa Monica

Rooms: spacious, with super-comfy beds, well-stocked minibar, fridge

Amenities: swimming pool (though not too big) with a very nice deck/ area around; tropical garden

Restaurants/ bars: restaurant is excellent (though a bit over-priced - breakfast for 2 can set you off by $100) - great choice of buffet/ a la carte; trendy bar, though its reputation to be a celebrities magnet is definitely overclaimed

Staff: very friendly, helpful and welcoming

Mood: cool, relaxed and unpretentious

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 2nd floor (eg 233) - instead of swimming pool views you may get a view over relatively dusty marquee.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Staying here right now! Nice one bedroom suite although view is of a roof too, slightly shabby carpet and not as luxurious as the price would warrant. Corridors are dark and gloomy. We have had mixed experiences with the staff, Elaine the concierge is incredible! Found reception staff on check in uninterested, I actually stood at the desk a few minutes without being noticed although it was quite late! Valet brought my bags to the room but my husband who checked in an hour earlier wasn't offered help with luggage.
Biggest letdown for me is no coffee/tea making facilities in the room (although we have now been provided with a kettle) room service coffee isn't good and a $15 charge to set up a tea service (makings and kettle) each time is a little over the top, I have my own tea bags so $15 for milk seems excessive!
Pool areas are beautiful, breakfast in the restaurant was nice if a little too pricey for our budget I'd recommend Mels Diner at the top of the road for anyone not on a "Rock Star" budget!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple