All reviewsrecording studiobedroom villakoi pondrock starwhiskey barrock and rollequinox gymmain buildingtucked awayhome from homebeautiful propertygreat barlow keyan updateconcierge deskresidential streetcool hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Staying here right now! Nice one bedroom suite although view is of a roof too, slightly shabby carpet and not as luxurious as the price would warrant. Corridors are dark and gloomy. We have had mixed experiences with the staff, Elaine the concierge is incredible! Found reception staff on check in uninterested, I actually stood at the desk a few minutes without being noticed although it was quite late! Valet brought my bags to the room but my husband who checked in an hour earlier wasn't offered help with luggage.
Biggest letdown for me is no coffee/tea making facilities in the room (although we have now been provided with a kettle) room service coffee isn't good and a $15 charge to set up a tea service (makings and kettle) each time is a little over the top, I have my own tea bags so $15 for milk seems excessive!
Pool areas are beautiful, breakfast in the restaurant was nice if a little too pricey for our budget I'd recommend Mels Diner at the top of the road for anyone not on a "Rock Star" budget!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helders
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was a great property as far as location and potential. Rooms were large and clean with separate living space, staff was great, cool intimate bar, beautiful restaurant and complimentary partnership with equinox gym(huge perk that would probably be the reason I went back). Restaurant food was amazing but extremely expensive (more than four seasons or ritz carlton) with slow slow slow service! We waited 1 hour and 45 minutes for our entrees and there were only two other tables filled in the restaurant. Internet service did not work well in room. Refrigerator was broken. Bed extremely comfortable!! Phone in main area broken.

Room Tip: stay away from elevators...some rooms are right next to elevator door.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff. Large, comfortable rooms and beautiful property. Mixed customer service training - some employees were great and some really lacked basic social filters. For instance: when our party was served dinner an hour and 40 minutes after ordering and the server warned us 20% gratuity had already been added. Or, when we grabbed drinks in the bar a waiter dropped our check, after the first order , and said, "how are you going to pay for this?" - without asking if we wanted something more. Housekeeping was either great or average and our mini bar fridge was broken the whole time even though it was restocked once. Visit was fine - but I expected better service.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed at the Sunset Marquis in Sept 2012 and having read the reviews were really excited. The hotel didn't disappoint. It was smaller than I had imagined (not a bad thing), the decor was super-modern and all the staff very professional - from the reception staff to the valet parkers they were all extremely efficient.
The location is brilliant - a very short was to Sunset Boulevard and the bars/restaurants there (note you will still need a car to explore the rest of LA).

The hotel definitely has a rock vibe - the walls show signed photos from major artists who have stayed there, guitars hanging, cool art etc.

After reading TripAdvisor reviews before going we were looking forward to some celebrity spotting and it didn't disappoint!

Although pricier than what we would usually pick, I would definitely stay here again - well worth the money.

Room Tip: The villas looked amazing - if you can afford.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I ended up staying at the Sunset Marquis September 22-23rd, 2012. I was supposed to meet a friend in LA, who cancelled at the last minute. When Bryan Smith @ Bar 1200 found out I was alone, he was properly outraged at the injustice, and conjured up a fantastic experience for me. He expertly determined the kind of scene I wanted, personally contacted the bartender at the other spot, and put me into a cab. I ended up having a fantastic time in LA thanks to Bryan and the rest of the staff at the Sunset Marquis.

Room Tip: If you can afford them, the villas!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends