“One for the fans”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
Scotland
“One for the fans”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

If you are looking for a luxury 5 star hotel in this area of Hollywood then there are probably far superior than the Marmont. I have always wanted to stay here because of the hotels history but I was initially underwelmed when we were shown to our Junior Suite room. The room was at the back of the hotel and was very dated. It is filled with what seem to be original fixtures and fittings which we actually grew to like, it just wasn't what we had imagined. It had a small kitchen area which had a very well stocked selection of drinks, the bathroom was tiny and again, fitted with original sink/shower but fine all the same. The main area of the hotel is really nice and we had an evening meal in the garden restaurant which was excellent as was the service. If I had one main negative thing to say about the hotel then it would be the staff. The staff in the restaurant and the Bar Marmont next door were really attentive and friendly, however I didn't find the other staff we encountered as welcoming. It seemed almost like a chore when we asked for anything. I would have given the hotel 3 out of 5 for this reason, but I did enjoy the stay mainly because of the hotel's history. We also went into Bar Marmont which is in a separate building just down the street. This again wasn't what I had imagined but we had a great night there. It was a very relaxed atmosphere (Sunday night) and there didn't seem to be any particular dress code. I'd recommend the hotel to people who may be interested in its history, but if you're just looking for a luxury 5 star hotel then I'd suggest elsewhere

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnPaul77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Beautiful, peaceful, unique, authentic : MAGIC.
Room, service, atmosphere, clientele, bar, restaurant, pool, garden... Even the cat... ;) Everything is just exquisite.
I simply love the place. Has the charm of french riviera when Grace Kelly was there...
The 60's in 3rd millenium...Perfect combination.

"I'll be back"

(Tip : try the bungalow. Even more private...)

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Claire75006
London
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Strip away the back story and high chance of spotting a celebrity or 3, and you are left with a hotel that would struggle to meet the standards you would expect of a motel, let alone a supposed luxury hotel which charges more than $500 a night. Our room was so small we had to shut the door behind us before we could get between it and the bed to the body of the room. In addition, the cupboard/wardrobe was too cluttered with the safe, minibar and other detritus to allow you to store bags (or hang clothes properly) so what little room there is was filled with our luggage. The furnishings were shabby, not in a chic way as other reviewers would have you believe but in a "should have been replaced 20 years ago" way and whole place needed a lick of paint at the very least. However, the nadir was the bathroom, which was cramped and dirty, the shower cubicle affording no space to even turn around and separated from the rest of the room by what looked like a thrift store shower curtain. The service can charitably be described as politely indifferent and, particularly in the bar, we were left with the firm impression that we were neither famous or beautiful enough to warrant anything more than the most cursory attention. Our complaints about the room were sympathised with, in that the staff agreed "our standard rooms are quite small" but nothing was done to try and improve our situation and even when we informed them we had decided to cut our stay short and relocate to another hotel such was our disatisfaction, this failed to register sufficiently to cause them to update their system, as a result of which they sought to charge us for the cancelled night on checkout. Save your cash for a hotel that actually has some grasp of the notion that comfort and service should be at the heart of any accommodation offering and not somewhere that seems to expect guests to be grateful for simply having been allowed through the door.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank G_R346
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a couple nights in March and loved every minute! We were upgraded to a garden cottage which was a nice start, and everything just got better from there.
I did read many reviews prior to booking, but in the end decided that staying in what is essentially a piece of old Hollywood was worth the money and even if the place was a little shabby it it would be worth it. Well it turned out nicer than we imagined. If you love the sterile style hotel rooms which all look the same, then this isnt for you. The rooms feel like someone's home - yet they have all of the amenities you would expect from a hotel of this reputation. Anyway, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, it was a wonderful experience. We'll be going back next we're in LA for sure.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Jaamsie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I was lucky enough to stay at Chateau Marmont while visiting a friend in LA who had been put up there while working on an album for Paul McCartney as a sound engineer. I knew the history and reputation of the place, and ok so yes, it's posher than I've even experienced, and I would never be able to afford to actually pay to stay there, however I was made to feel so welcome, the staff were not snooty at all and were friendly and approachable.

The little pool was lovely, and great for a late night dip. So relaxing. I spent more on the car valet than I did on food! I am not sure if I over did it, but I tipped $10 every time he brought my little beetle soft top to me.

Location is fantastic, I would say if you can afford it, even if you just have a flying visit to West Hollywood, stay at Chateau Marmont, the deco is gorgeous, I was obsessed with the bath taps and now have a picture I took of one on my wall.

Loved it, but hey.. It was free and I was a very lucky boy, so I have to big it up.. :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple