“Skip Eleve”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Civic Drive
Transit: The Walnut Creek BART station is just a few blocks away on Ygnacio Valley Road.
Reviewed 17 July 2015

I went to this restaurant with high expectations only to have poor service, overpriced menu with extremely small servings. The quality of the food was okay, but the quantity less than you would get from a "small plate" menu. This was not a Dim Sum menu. The high point of our dinner was the tea service.

Date of visit: March 2015

Reviewed 22 March 2015

Perhaps Eleve is better at lunch, than at dinner. This is a second review, as we loved lunch so much here, that we returned a couple of times for dinner and, sadly, had a different experience, both with staff and food.

We were so disappointed in the dinner offerings...perhaps we need to try the happy hour, but it will be a while before we return. When I think of French Vietnamese food, I naturally compare every restaurant with Le Colonial in the city, which, IMO, does a fabulous job with that cuisine even though it's a chain...and Eleve didn't compare favorably.

We rated it so highly previously, when we'd had a wonderful lunch there, that it seemed only right to lower other diners' expectations. I rely heavily on TA and wish to attempt to be accurate with my ratings. Sorry, Eleve...we'll try again, but not too soon.

In any case, I think the vegetable and salad offerings are great and everything else is just fair. If you go for dinner and are seated near the bar, it can be very noisy!

Reviewed 12 February 2015

We didn't know what to expect. We knew it was supposed to be a Vietnamese restaurant, but the menu made us wonder. Yet, as we ate, we tasted many flavors familiar to us, while noticing how elevated both the food and presentation was. The menu changes frequently, but if they have the stuffed calamari, that is a must-try dish. The flavors were intense and wonderful. We also enjoyed the ceviche - a fresh take on an old dish - this one reminding us a little of the pungent flavors of kimchee. Everything here is to be shared, which is great. It's hard to get past the apps - they're that interesting - but you have to - the rest of the menu is worth trying too. The bar is also 'elevated' offering new twists on classic cocktails and hand-cut ice. The ambience is great and it is just a fun place to go. Walnut Creek keeps the upscale dining business going meaning some of us never seem to make it to SF anymore.

Reviewed 9 February 2015

Delicious cocktails and wine. Our appetizer portions were large enough to easily share. Entrees were not skimpy and were tasty albeit spicy.

Reviewed 8 February 2015

As other reviewers have noted, this restaurant is a bar that serves food. The portions are small. Fortunately for us, both my husband and myself are not big eaters. We had an appetizer to share as well as a main course each. They served the entree on plates in the center of the table to share. That worked well for us as my husband ate his and half of mine. The food was very flavorful, although the curry was quite spicey for me. My husband had a baked pear for dessert that was very good. The glass of wine was very sparse at $12 a glass. Overall, it was good, very pricey, and we probably would not return for dinner.

Date of visit: January 2015