“One of the best places to eat downtown”
Review of Taqueria El Mejor

Taqueria El Mejor
Ranked #128 of 308 Restaurants in Visalia
Reviewed 13 February 2017

This is traditional fast Mexican food. I am a cheapskate. I get the dollar tacos. Lunch I get the hamburger fries and a drink for $5. Most places downtown are a little more expensive because they pay more rent. You can still eat a hot meal here for pretty cheap.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

I love the Chili Rellano, hand made to order. Stuffed full of cheese, battered and plated with rice and beans. Literally the best one in 30 miles.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

A little pricey and staff not very friendly. Good salsa, but waitress acts like she would rather be somewhere else, like I said not very friendly staff. I would go back but tipping is based on attitude

Reviewed 26 March 2015

We have eaten here many times over the years. In my younger years it was to fix my late night cravings for tacos and each time they hit the spot perfectly. Lately we order breakfast burritos and end up bringing home some of the best pan dulce in the world.
The folks making the food are culinary wizards; so much flavor in every bite. Everyone is curious, helpful, and polite.
Recently they changed their name to "Javi's Taco Shack", but neither the quality nor the options have changed (at least not to my knowledge).
If you're in the area, Stop, Eat, and Be Happy!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Had wanted to check this place out, and it was just ok, in my opinion. Now that I've satisfied my curiosity, I can cross it off my list, as it's not really worth the wait, standing in long lines....and the salsa bar did not have pico de gallo on it.