“Fun time for snow boarding !!”

Soda Springs Mountain Ski Resort
Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

Our first time here, the result of a mixed group wanting to have "a snow day" - everything considered this seemed a good choice. We were looking specifically for snow tubing for the two younger adults in the group, while the elders and the 7 month old baby just hung out and chilled. We arrived 90 minutes before closing - a little less time than we planned but it was enough this time - and promptly got to work. The snow tube slope is past far end of the one main parking lot, so the adults took off and we took time on the main lodge deck and later inside the dining area for use of the carpeted floor for a play space. Worked out well, actually. The fee for the day is $34, which is fair and includes the tube (personal equipment is prohibited). The slopes are groomed, and there is a conveyer belt to take you back up - if you're in a hurry and want to give your calves a workout, you can also walk or run back to the top. We saw video from the "youngsters" and the tubes really move !! We couldn't see them from the lodge, and they said they'd come again so I guess it's a win! The lodge itself is like s high school cafeteria - a walk through commissary with various fried foods, pizza slices or whole ones made to order, and a variety of refreshments - including beers for those frazzled parents. Overall not bad, but I would like to see a lodge where people can sit and wait - fireplace maybe ? Something more comfortable than plastic stacking chairs, for sure. Not everyone there will be skiing or snow tubing, after all. It is the oldest ski facility in California, from what I understand, and it offers a lot for kids - lessons, a "go cart" track, snow tubing small style - so it is a greater place for kids and teens to ski and all that than the backcountry tracks elsewhere offer. Conveniently located about a mile off I-80 at Soda Springs, a little south of Donner Lake.

Date of experience: April 2016
in 3 reviews
"season"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

My sons had their first snowboarding day. They are 7 and 4 y.o. All the attendees in the rental shop were so kind and attentive to my sons. Later that day, I ran into one of the employees from the rental department in the bathroom. She asked how our day went (knowing my sons were learning). I told her how well my oldest had picked it up and enjoying it, but how my youngest wasn't so much. She was sorry to hear and said she'd like to help. Of course, these are kind words but most people don't follow through, so I thanked her and was grateful for the thought, but not expecting anything. A little while later, we were returning our gear, she saw me, and asked for my younger son's lift ticket (card). Unexpectedly, she gave my youngest son's lift+rental credit back. Thanks to her genuine hospitality, we plan to go back one more time this season, but this time rent him some ski's!

Date of experience: March 2016
2  Thank JennaKoek
Reviewed 30 January 2016 via mobile

It sounds great from the website. We came on a Saturday. Of course there were crowds. Lodge is small, unimpressive and crowded. Restaurant has bad menu of fast food burgers, chili and chili fries as well as nachos.
The bathrooms are awful. Old and not cared for.

They said they had mini snowmobiling. That turned out to be one old mini snowmobile as the rest were broken.

We were not too impressed but we didn't ski and our children didn't ski. We used the one mini snowmobile, saw the lines sledding and the run down facilities and took off. The young man that helped us with the mini snowmobiles was kind and engaged.

Date of experience: January 2016
4  Thank LynetteA370
Reviewed 4 January 2016

Best and least expensive West of Truckee Tahoe ski area. This is a baby mountain which stinks for adults or experienced skiiers but a great value with great teaching facilities for young kids.

Date of experience: February 2015