“Fantastic romantic dinner”
Review of Shiro

Shiro
Reserve with OpenTable
Shiro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$32 - US$55
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fair Oaks Ave.
Transit: South Pasadena Metro Station .4 miles from the Restaurant
Description: Our food is only the best of the ingredients presented so that their excellence shines through. Our caring staff is here to help you enjoy your meal. We have a full bar.
Reviewed 23 October 2018

This Japanese French restaurant is very unique and never disappoints. They are known for their sole with Ponzu sauce but their set menus on weekends are great too if you can spare the expense.

A icon in South Pasadena.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I've been going to Shiro since they opened over 25 years ago. It is among the finest restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The French-Japanese-fusion menu has staple dishes, but it also varies from day to day. Everything is wonderfully fresh and beautifully presented. The staff is first-rate. I would argue that the fish dishes in particular are among the best seafood in Greater LA. Small, relaxed, a simple, elegant decor; the prefect place for a quiet, romantic dinner, a family celebration, or just to treat yourself to truly fine dining.

1  Thank Stephen John R
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

What a spectacular experience. I have never been a big fan of Asian fusion, previously coming away feeling that ingredients and flavors were being concocted or forced into a new and different culinary experience intended to demonstrate inspired creativity....which ultimately didn’t quite work for me. Not at Shiro! Everything we ate, from the spectacular fried oyster appetizer to the very light and flavorful dessert, we came away satisfied with the variety of taste experiences and complimentary blends of flavors. The fish entree was incredible, very fresh and superbly prepared. The wine list is varied enough to provide a wonderful pairing with the food. The wait staff was very kind and helpful, always providing the right amount of attention. The reputation of this place is well-deserved. We were not disappointed and recommend it most highly!

1  Thank Z1256LHrobertw
Reviewed 20 June 2018

June 14, 2018: Our party of four, staying at the Langham hotel, arrived at Shiro's for a first time dinner - and we would definitely return again and again. Pastel walls, dark wood, pleasant lilting music, tables with good spacing and in intriguing menu. Drinks were not stingy: we had G&Ts. Ordered wine by the glass during dinner and were given generous samples on request. Our appetizers included the artichoke heart salad, which was better than expected. Two of us ordered the shrimp mousse stuffed wontons, yummy, perhaps a bit heavy since we are both light eaters. My husband had the 3 lbs catfish, a signature dish which did not disappoint: the whole fish, it seemed both steamed and fried, and its flesh was sliced in thin anatomical sections - the taste reminded me of orange roughy, white and delicate. I had the duck breast, with a light orange sauce and it was one of the best I've ever had! ...and I ate every bite [some light eater?]. One guest had the loup de mer, pronounced superb and the other had the Mexican curry shrimp, the sauce was curry flavored and not overpowering and the shrimp really large and tender. If I hadn't had the duck breast, I'd have opted for the shrimp and will on our next visit. We shared profiteroles for dessert and sipped Meyers port. The service was quiet and aware, in short, excellent. If you are in Pasadena, do not miss out on Shiro's!

1  Thank jbeaudill
Reviewed 18 June 2018

First time dining at Shiro for me and my friend was this past Saturday. From the moment we entered we were captivated -- simple but gracious décor, fine ambiance, excellent and friendly service and, oh yes, the food - very creative and tasty, one big wow! . We brought & opened our own wines-a rose bubbly and premier cru Chablis. Started with 2 appetizers -- yellowfin tuna tartare & I believe a Chinese ravioli filled with shrimp mousse. Then plunged right into the signature dish that was highly recommended by friends -- whole sizzling catfish with ponzu and fresh cilantro. This was super spectacular, flavorful outside skin, tender and tasty flesh, and wonderful ponzu and cilantro flavors. Amazingly delish. Definitely a wonderful dinintg experience.

1  Thank aresverde