“A "can't miss" restaurant in Sonoma”
Review of Meritage - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St West
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had heard about this place before leaving for our trip. I was impressed with what I had seen on the website, and wanted to visit this place right away. We were in Sonoma / Napa on a birthday trip along with a few other couples.

Due to a packed itinerary , we were unable to get here until the last night of our trip. I'm sure glad we did not miss this place. We made evening reservations with a gentleman named Joe. He turned out to be the manager, and also took care of us during our meal.

We started out with a dozen of wonderful oysters, followed by an eggplant Napoleon appetizer.

Although we did not have an entree, we did have the Risotto of the day, and it was the superstar of the evening! It was a "Tiger Prawn and Wild Mushroom" risotto. My wife and I shared it, and it was more than enough for the 2 of us.

We dropped off a bottle of wine about 2 hours before our reservation, and they decanted it for us and had it ready to go for dinner!

Had a fantastic dessert of ice cream with a molten lava cake!

The whole evening was perfect, and recommend this place 100%.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed just around the corner from this restaurant so booked it knowing it was our first night in Sonoma having travelled all day from England. We walked past Meritage last year and thought it looked cosy and atmospheric. Glad we didn't walk past this time! Lovely little place. Staff were great and the menu choices excellent. Fabulous seafood choices. The king prawn and mushroom risotto was stunning, so tasty yet light and addictive! As you would expect, really great wine list. We will definitely call again when we next visit Sonoma.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Really enjoyed my lobster salad. Spouse ordered lobster ravioli. Mixed drink selection excellent. Plan to return!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

During our first visit, a staff told us that they had happy hours for oysters from 4-6 pm so we went back on the following 2 days to enjoy half price for the open shell oysters.

Staff were all very friendly. If I am in the area again, I will definitely return to this restaurant.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

After hearing a few recommendations, we had dinner at Meritage. I guess we were underwhelmed, having gone in with high expectations. Our server was very good - attentive, helpful and charming. And, the house-made ice creams and sorbet were fantastic. Those were the highlights. Oysters were fair/nothing special. A prime rib special at $25 was well-priced, but flavors were only fair. Lobster ravioli had a spicy sauce, so the lobster flavor that may have been there was undetectable. Foccacia was dry. Also, quite noisy, due to the martini bar crowd. Overall, a disappointment - sorry, Meritage.