“Good red curry”

Similan Thai Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 81 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve been meaning to try this place since I’ve read good reviews about it. I ordered red curry chicken and dessert of sticky rice with mango.

The curry portion was bigger than you normally get at a Thai restaurant. The coconut milk flavors were there, just spicy enough for my taste. It was also not sweet which I really liked. I’ve had a lot of Thai curry and have a hard time finding one that is not sweet.

The dessert was satisfying even though the mango was underripe.

I would try them again when I am in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 7 April 2018

My cousin was visiting and found this place. I LOVE Thai food and have often said that my favorite place is in Oceanside, but now I have a great place closer to home. Love the spicey noodle dish (they call it something different than what I'm used to, but it tastes the same). Great Panang and fresh rolls. Small place with very friendly service. Been here a few times now and never disappointed.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I had dinner here with my brother and family and they said that it was a relatively new place in Solana Beach. The place is relatively small and it was quiet when we came in for dinner. The service was good as was the quality of the food. It arrived on time and my green paneng curry checken tasted good. Based on this experience, I'd recommend others to give them a try.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

This is hands down the best Thai restaurant around. Their service is beyond amazing and the staff is incredible. (Senmee in particular.) I frequent the restaurant regularly and have yet to have a negative experience.

I love their yellow curry and tom yum soup and would highly recommend trying either. Both have the perfect flavor and are generous serving portions. You are able to adjust the spice level depending on your ability to handle heat. I typically get it medium which creates a delicious combination of spice, heat, and flavor. I would also recommend their mango sticky rice for a delicious desert too.

Lunch time on Fridays can be a bit busy, but I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my food. I'd recommend coming in and enjoying the beautiful decor, friendly service, and amazing food!

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We have eaten at two other Thai restaurants in the area, but found that Similan is not only the most elegant but also has the best food. It is a notch above. The crab pad thai was beautifully presented and tasted great. Shrimp spicy fried rice had the right heat level (I asked for a “7”) with crisp pepper, and rice perfectly textured. Reservations are a must - it isn’t a large place. A mixed plate of appetizers were uniformly good and pleasingly presented.