“Nice experience but rushed”
Review of Samurai Restaurant

Samurai Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 80 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

We had a 6 p.m. Reservation. We were seated at 6:05 p.m. The waitress came to take our orders immediately. We needed time to look at the menu. We were told there was only one chef for the evening when we made the reservation. We shared a table with other diners. The other tables were empty. As soon as we ordered our soup and salad was served. Toooooooo fast. Should have had time to eat the soup then the salad.
The other tables filled up. There should have been another chef.

Our chef came to do the meal prep. Our grandson has a shellfish allergy. The chef was very good about separating our grandsons food from the shell fish. The chef did not have time to entertain as he cooked. I noticed later when he did another table he was more entertaining. Overall the food was fresh and prepared well. We did have to request water refills several times. If u want fried rice u have to pay 6.5 extra. This is an inflated price on an already expensive meal. We did not share, but, there is a lot of food I suggest sharing. Slight improvement would get a 5 star.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

I haven't been to Japan in several years but stepping inside Samurai I recalled all the pleasantness of Japanese restaurants. Well, we didn't get the key to a locker as we entered, to put our shoes into, and there were no tatami matts or shoji screens (maybe so in the back), but the sushi was fresh, the miso soup warm and fragrant, and the staff was largely and charmingly Japanese! Our server wore a beautiful kimono! My hubby tried the mackerel, which was great. He said he has been told that the sign of a great Japanese restaurant is whether or not they serve mackerel.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

Had dinner here before a concert at The Bellyup tavern. Food is very good. Not quite as good as Sushi Ota though.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

We dine here frequently before the theater in the same complex. All staff are so helpful, friendly & EFFICIENT. Sushi is all excellent, we love to try different combos each time.
Enjoy coming here very much. Nice wine pour too.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

These guys have been in the same high-end strip mall since I was 8 and i'm 36. They are not the most 'hip' or 'cutting edge' place BUT if you are a foodie and you like sushi....this is your place. They actually get GIANT CLAM, SPANISH MAKREL, TORO, etc. THE REAL STUFF! I need to go there more often and remind my friends to do the same.