All reviews beach access breakfast room is free breakfast screen door short walk within walking distance covered parking hi express decent breakfast fridge and microwave stay there again late checkout pool and jacuzzi other hotels in the area per day stayed here for nights ice machine
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this HI Express based on prior experiences with the hotel chain and was glad I did. I wrote "from the front desk on" because I fumbled by accidentally booking two rooms, but that error was resolved in my favor by the manager, Fabricio. He handled the situation in a professional way -- all travelers welcome that kind of respect. The double I had for my overnight stay had a high atrium and side balcony that made it more appealing than some of the discounted accommodations I have had at other hotels in the past.

I took the train to Solana Beach with the plan to Uber or walk to everything...this worked out better than expected because the hotel was a short 10 minute walk. On the reverse, getting to restaurants and night life attractions was the same. For those who drive or prefer to Uber, you will find that you are about 3 minutes away from all of the attractions, including one of the primary beach entry points. Thanks also go to Hidalgo for a cheerful check-out -- the staff are very upbeat. A final note: I have noticed that a few of the reviews for this property are a little mixed, but I have to say that I just didn't see it during my stay.

A great internet rate might be out there so look for that. My booking was a great value compared to many of the other options in the area good value. I will stay again, no doubt.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2018

The hotel was old, the rooms were not in good shape. The AC did not work. The dampness was oppressive. won't make the same mistake twice. This is a one-star hotel. Don't be fooled.
There is no beach access. The amenities are not as described. Close, but not there. The website said an indoor and outdoor pool, um they hide the indoor pool very well.

Room tip: Go to the Marriott next door.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Sally R
Andi C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Sally - thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, and provide feedback on areas of opportunities for the future. We sincerely apologize that your room was not the standard expected for our property. Our goal is to ensure all our travelers receive a guest-ready room - that has been cleaned, reviewed, and inspected to the highest level of cleanliness and functionality. We will use your feedback to continue to train our team on areas for improvement towards operational excellence. Thank you!

Reviewed 21 August 2018

A bargain price compared to their competitors. Easy walk to a gorgeous beach and the racetrack is 1.6 miles away. Complimentary breakfast offered everything we would want and was much appreciated so as not to have to get in the car and go looking for breakfast. Swimming pool is no great shakes but we much preferred the ocean anyway. Nice that they had mostly covered parking (nominal $5 per day charge). Housekeeping was attentive and the staff was overall accommodating even though we did not get either of our two wake up calls. We would stay there again without hesitation, also good for families. No it is not a 5* resort but was a very enjoyable 3 night stay.

Room tip: 3rd Floor is a little quieter as the pool and breakfast are on the 2nd.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and taking the time to review your recent experience. Let me start by saying what a pleasure it is to hear how much you enjoyed the attentive service from our staff. We are lucky to be located within close proximity to local attractions - such as the beach and Del Mar Racetrack as you noted - and love to hear when our guests get the chance to relax and enjoy all that our little town has to offer. During your next visit, you'll have to check out our breakfast again. IHG has recently updated both the food that we are serving and the design of our breakfast room - we think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the changes! We hope to have the opportunity to host you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

We stayed here for one night while passing through the area. We were greeted warmly and checked-in quickly (and given fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies! Nice touch). Room was very clean, bed was comfy. Breakfast in the morning was great, more than expected - with lots of choices. Walk-able to the beach, in a very safe and quiet neighborhood. But where the heart of this review comes from is the AMAZING service we received upon realizing I had left my wedding band on the nightstand. We called (almost 24 hours later!) to ask if it had been turned in, with no luck. After doing a little research, they discovered the head of housekeeping had put my ring in their safe. They were SO responsive and attentive to us, it was unbelievable! I had my ring back, in Arizona, within 48 hours. Andi, the GM, is outstanding. I can't thank you enough for such a pleasant stay in your hotel, and for restoring my faith in humanity!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Jamie: it was absolutely our pleasure to assist you! We can't even begin to imagine the panic that sets in when something so sentimental is not in your possession. We understand the importance in getting that back to you as fast as humanly (postally) possible! Moreso, it is such a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed the check-in experience, and overall stay with our team. Let me tell you - once those cookies start baking guests comes from all over the hotel to snag a few. Best possible scent program the hotel could ever have! We hope you and your husband had a wonderful rest of your summer, and we look forward to hosting you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

We had a lovely sleep in a very nice room and the included breakfast was exceptionally good for this type of hotel. The room was quiet and clean, and we would certainly recommend this centrally located location.

Room tip: a room farther away from HWY 101 is probably quieter than other rooms.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Susan W
Andi C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Susan: Thank you for the fantastic review. It is such a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast each morning - a great way to start the day! As you noted, we are centrally located to anything you might want to do in the area - beach, Del Mar, downtown San Diego, etc. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future!