“12 Year Favorite”

Ranked #24 of 117 Restaurants in Sebastopol
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Sushi Tozai is the location where East (to) meets West (zai) as we bring to you the food and flavors of Japan in a classic sushi house decor. We start with fresh seafood that gets delivered to us daily including wild pacific salmon and wild blue fin tuna. We handmake all of our sushi with personal care to ensure every bite is packed with delicious tastes. In addition to our fresh, quality sushi, we offer traditional Japanese fare including tempura, teriyaki chicken and our popular prawns martini appetizer. The food is complemented by a full selection of sake, local wines and Japanese beers. Enjoy the delicious tastes of Japan for lunch, or dinner in a warm and relaxed environment. "To sum up: Sushi Tozai is modestly priced and serves excellent, fresh sushi and sashimi along with bento boxes for lunch or dinner. Well worth a visit." Read Full Review - Jeff Cox, Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Since I have lived in Sebastopol for the last 12 years, this is by far the best sushi restaurant ever! Fresh, delicious, & great service/ambience.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Most people think of dead fish (sushi) when they think of this eatery, however, there are VEGAN options on the menu. I ate there with 2 omnivores and, of course, there is plenty of food for them to eat. But, the big and wonderful surprise is that there are VEGAN options on the Sushi Tozai menu.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 14 May 2018

I have previously reviewed this restaurant and gave it a glowing review. Different experience tonight. Yes, it was Mother's Day. Yes, there were empty tables. Party of four, with toddler, seated at 6:15pm. Placed our order by 6:30pm. Toddler doing great (very cooperative and easy-going toddler). Ordered a glass of wine, which arrived promptly. Edamane arrived promptly. An hour later, I ordered another glass of wine. The very nice server told me it was courtesy of the house because "Mother's Day...busiest day of the year...we're swamped". Okay, understandable. They eventually brought my daughter-in-laws little salad (it's a salad - they aren't made to order, are they?). After an hour and a half of being there, toddler had used up her patience and my son took her home (he had had nothing to eat, besides Edamane). They also brought one of the the sushi orders we placed. Nearly two hours later, we got the rest of our order. Now, a leisurely two hour dinner can be a lovely thing - but generally when it is spaced out evenly over the two hours. We weren't the only table experiencing this - I heard a woman say from a nearby table that they'd been there two hours and were still waiting for their sushi. Another party, who were seated before we were, didn't get their sushi rolls until we had been there like an hour and a half. By the time they brought our last order, we asked for to-go boxes. Then a gal, don't know if she was a server or manager, came by the table and apologized for the wait. I asked her if the problem was not enough kitchen help. She said yes, they've been trying to hire someone for over a year - did I know anyone? Ha. No. She said she hoped we'd come back and I said we wouldn't. I also told her that it was terrible that management had so little regard for the servers that they would put them in an uncomfortable situation. Bottom line - if you know you don't have the kitchen staff to accommodate a busy holiday, then make a different plan - such as, only serve on the main floor, not on the second, too. Let people know, when they are first seated, that service is going to be slow. Nice that they gave me a glass of wine, but probably a further discount would have been in order. What I found most amusing was that on the bill, where they give amounts for suggested tip, it is based on the food AND the tax. Is Kitchen Nightmares still a thing?

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018

lots of variety and good taste. An appetizer we have had is
"prawns martini". One order is about enough for 2, but 2 orders
for two people is better, tastes so good.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Tozai is a great meet up spot for business lunches, family dinners and even take out! Probably my favorite sushi spot in Sonoma County. I always order the Martini Prawns, Jalepeno Hamachi, a Sebastopol Roll and maybe another option or two that sounds good to everyone at the table. The sushi chefs , wait staff and other chefs are always so nice!! They ask how my family is doing and are quick to look at a picture of my two year old! Steve,the owner, can be seen going from his sushi restaurant to his adjacent restaurant next door. Seems like a nice gentleman. Thank you Tozai!!! I’ll see u soon.

Date of visit: December 2017