This is an older concrete tower style Holiday Inn with a detached welcome area and a tower with external access. The tower is 5 stories accessible by either stairs or one rather slow elevator. The old school style isn't so bothersome as the need for upgrades in the guest rooms. Ours didn't look like it had had much more than new wallpaper since the 1980s. I get It, the structure is concrete so renovation options are limited, but bust a hole between some of the tiny rooms and create upgraded suits to match the offerings at other area lodging.
The staff was amazing, especially Tacia at the front desk who went out of her way to make check in a pleasant and efficient experience. The housekeeping staff was on point for our room with everything clean and well set up. The facilities and grounds staff did a good job of keeping this aging building in good repair. Access was easy and parking is sufficient. The breakfast buffet was well stocked and matched the corporate offerings.
The facilities are a tale of two buildings. The welcome and reception building has been totally upgraded with Holiday Inns pseudo Ikea package. It was fresh, clean and has a nice contemporary feel. The rooms are small compared to the market and the points used were high for the off season. Like I said, the guest rooms could use a 2018 makeover. The view is also a mixed bag. On one side of the tower, your view is a highway and the roof of the welcome building. On the other side is a small lake, a parking lot and a Chili's. They have a little deck area on the lake next to a small walking trail, but when we visited the walking access to the area was under water. It does have an outside pool and hot tub which are well maintained.
I would recommend looking at reviewer photos as the IHG shots make the place look like a resort on the water. It isn't that, but it is a reasonable oasis in a partly urban area. Included in my photos are some nests on the rafters area. I don't know if these are birds or bees. I am guessing birds ... but it is an odd thing to see so prominently on the building. If they are bird nests some signage to tell us what they are and perhaps some ecosystem facts would be nice. If they are bees ... power wash those things out of here. Overall, a positive experience ... but in need of some renovation investment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express - Monterey Bay (Del Monte Beach Area), CA. We are conveniently located off Hwy 1, just 2 blocks from the beach where you can enjoy a leisurely walk along Monterey's gorgeous coastline. We are at the gateway to the area's most popular attractions only 2 miles north of Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf, 3 miles north of Cannery Row, the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, and minutes from world-class golf at Pebble Beach. Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway is just a short 4 miles from our front door. The quaint seaside town of Carmel-by-the-Sea is a must see, and just 7 miles south via Hwy 1. After a day of exploring the Monterey Peninsula, return to our friendly hotel and relax. We offer 143, 100% non-smoking comfortable newly designed guestrooms and an outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi. You may also enjoy an invigorating work out in our on-site fitness center. Join us each morning for our Complimentary Express Start HOT Breakfast Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay Hotel Seaside
- Holiday Inn Seaside
- Holiday Inn Express Seaside
- Holiday Inn Monterey Bay