“Lives up to the coffee shop name”
Review of Big Basin Cafe

Big Basin Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Saratoga
Reviewed 1 November 2017

I have ventured once again out west to visit friends in the California wine country and had the experience of having lunch at this eclectic hang out one afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and this particular place is what I imagine a coffee shop should be.

There are photos and paintings all around. Some being from local artists and some prints for purchase with the easy, quiet sounds of jazz playing in the background. At least this is what was playing the day that I visited. The music truly is in the background as my friend and I could actually have a conversation and hear each other talk. The place is very cozy...with lounge vibe going on.

The first items I spotted upon entering the door were a array of mouth watering desserts. From cheesecakes to giant cookies in a variety of flavors. I had to force myself to order my lunch first which was a health hot and spicy chicken sandwich with with avocado and fixing and my lunch date ordering the tuna wrap. For me, the sandwich was enormous but really hit the spot. We picked a lovely table next to the window to enjoy the afternoon sun and non-rushed conversation until the shadows begin to grow long on the sidewalk. However, we could not leave without having dessert. I purchased the maple or molasses cookie, the oatmeal cookie and a chocolate chip. All of these cookies with were big enough to share and worth every single sugar induced calorie. I will have to admit my favorite was the molasses.

This is not a industrial coffee shop; therefore can not be compared. If this is what one is expecting when you go in, please do not enter or write a review of disappointment as it is not the same. Not that I have anything against any of the industrial shops and I am a full supporter for a quick cup of Joe. There is one of those shops up the street if that is what you are looking for.

If you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable, cozy, inviting atmosphere, this is a place to add your adventure list.

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 1 October 2017

I came to this place walking around and loved the name of the place and the smell of coffee at the doorway. So I came in and ordered a latte and something sweet to eat. LOVE the coffee. I ended up staying there for a while to people watch etc. A wonderful place where locals hang out. Its very homey and comfortable place to sit and have coffee.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

In speaking with the owner, I learned that coffee was roasted in the store every Tuesday and Thursday and during the weekend when needed. Their neans are imported regularly so do not get stale. Costa Rica medium is sweet- you don't even need sugar. Thru habe a wide variety of home baked pastries, salads and sandwiches. They also have a fabulous assortment of tea and gelato. Get ground coffee to go.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I like independent coffee shops like this one. However, the staff turnover is significant and as result, service can be variable. They have a range of coffees that are quite good - also cakes, cookies, sandwiches, breakfast, etc. Some of the furniture is a bit "tired" and could do with being replaced.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

I think they better just stick to desserts and coffee. I had a dry turkey sandwich with no condiments. It was not cheap either. The place is cute but very unkept and sort of dirty. Looks like a bunch of teenagers are running the joint so things are a little bit laxed.

Date of visit: July 2017