“One of the "best" Best Western's I've at.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Garden Inn

BEST WESTERN Garden Inn
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Texas
“One of the "best" Best Western's I've at.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

One of the few lodgings I could find offering a king size bed for my trip weekend. Just off the 101 Freeway, yet a relatively quiet location. The property is well-established (read "been there for awhile"), but the room I stayed in was well-appointed, looked and smelled clean, with an extremely comfortable bed. Room had a small fridge, microwave oven and a reasonably-sized flatscreen HDTV. We visited in early March, so pool was closed, but was kept clean. Quaint restaurant with reasonably-priced meals located on property. Don't understand the earlier negative reviews for this place. I saw nothing of that kind. Desk staff was very friendly and helpful, both upon arrival and departure. Housekeeping staff didn't come by at 7:00 AM to disturb me, but was quietly standing by when I left the room for them to attend to. Location is as good as any for accessing the city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Arnie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We came to Santa Rosa for a friend's wedding and chose this hotel because of its location near the venue and the price. It worked out perfectly! Our room was very large (with one king-sized bed), a generously-sized refrigerator, a coffee maker, lots of towels, etc. Very clean and well-appointed. I'm actually surprised by the other reviews. This is, after all, a Best Western, so going there we didn't expect to be staying at the Four Seasons. Overall, it has a very chain-like feel (like every other Best Western), maybe a little dated, but with a nice small-town, homey feel with landscaped grounds and a small pool. The pictures do make it seem quite a bit more glamorous than it really is, but it was still nice. The staff was very accommodating and friendly too. Returning from the wedding late at night we felt completely safe. We had some concern because outside our door we could hear a baby crying in the room next door, but once we were inside, we didn't hear a thing. Also, if you're ever in Santa Rosa, be sure to visit Chloe's French Cafe! It doesn't look like much from the outside, but a week later, we are still talking about the pastries and hot sandwiches. Seriously, don't miss it!

Room Tip: Parking lot is in the front and cars park near first-floor rooms; would recommend the back of proper...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waughooo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I can't review anything about the inside of the rooms because I pulled into the parking lot and right back out. I arrived at about 8:30 pm and tweakers and possible hookers littered the parking lot. I immediately did not feel safe staying there. There were also barbecue grills on some of the patios outside the rooms. This indicated to me, that people were also possibly living at this motel. Maybe some people would like the fact that it's on the main strip of downtown, and two doors down from a liquor store, but not me. I was shocked at what I saw there after reading the description on the website. I think it's false advertisement.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Jelaine98
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

This is the first bad review of a hotel I've ever written, but we had SUCH a bad experience, I am writing to warn others not to waste their time. First, this is a drive-up motel-style hotel, which isn't exactly clear from their website. When we went to check into our room, the woman at the counter was rude to the person in front of us and acted like we were a nuisance as well. I wish I could remember her name, but our trip was several months ago. As soon as we walked out of the office, I spoke to my husband and told him I wanted to find somewhere else. However, it was late in the evening, we'd been traveling all day, so we decided to check out our room instead.

In our room, one wall was a sliding glass door leading out to the pool, so if we wanted any natural light in the room, we would have no privacy (there were many people at the pool). I went to turn on the light in our room, and the shade wasn't screwed on. Plus, the lightbulb was broken. I went to use the restroom, and the toilet seat was wet. I decided to call the office about the lightbulb in our room. Here's how the conversation went.

"Front desk." (spoken very harshly, as if I was a nuisance again.)
I'm used to people answering the phone with their name, so I said, "Who am I speaking with please?"
"The front desk." (again, very rudely spoken)
"And what is your name, please?"
By the time she told me her name, I'd had enough of this horrible hotel. I politely ended the call, grabbed my bags, and told my husband we were just going to have to find somewhere else. Even though it was 7 o'clock, there was no way I was going to support this hotel in any way with my money.

When we checked out of the room, after telling her all of the problems in the room and our dissatisfaction with the service, she had the nerve to tell us we might not get our money back. I would have been all to happy to speak to her manager if they had billed us (which they did not), but what kind of person would hire someone that rude to be the representative of their hotel?

We ended up staying at the Hilton Sonoma Hotel, which was absolute heaven! Yes, it was more expensive, but after this horrible experience, we were ready to be pampered.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank melaniejade31
La Canada, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Because Alaska Airlines (Horizon Air) eliminated their direct flight from LAX to Eureka, California, we’ve gone back to driving and stopping on the way north in Santa Rosa. We’ve stayed at the Best Western Garden Inn many times with wonderful service, but this time…well…it got down to 27 degrees over night in late December and there were no extra blankets in the room. When we mentioned that to the desk clerk the next morning, her response was, “Why didn’t you turn on the heat?” I really didn’t want to reply because, unlike most other motels these days, they have not installed “Smart System” controls on their HVAC systems and their antiquated wall units are just plain LOUD! I would have preferred to hear, “I’m sorry that you were incovenienced. We’ll make sure that there are extra blankets available for our guests from now on.” In addition, while in the past we were happy to have a restaurant with a full menu onsite for breakfast, their competition now offers rather nice complimentary continental breakfasts. It’s not a huge deal, but we’ll be seriously considering other lodging on our next trip north.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple