“A wonderful escape!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Safari West
Karatu, Tanzania
“A wonderful escape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I was lucky to be invited by a friend to visit this great place. It was so much fun staying in a tent "out of Africa" instead of in Africa. The attention to detail is great, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The food was very good. It does get quite cold at night and in the early mornings but the beds have electric blankets and there are heaters in the tent. The beds were super comfortable and it was lovely to wake up overlooking a small pond in the middle of nature; it's a beautiful environment and the landscaping is so well done. I generally don't like zoos but the animals are well kept here and have the best possible environment out of the wild. The owners have done an amazing job bringing a taste of Africa to northern California. This is a wonderful place to bring children so they can get a glimpse of what a safari would be like and to see animals and birds in an extremely natural setting. I want to return with my family, especially the grand children.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank auroraafrica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

My boyfriend took me for the three hour safari tour and we had a blast. Out guide, Leslie, was AMAZING!!!!! So knowledgable about all the animals.

There aren't lions or elephants but the cheetahs, giraffes and other animals were fun to see.

I highly recommend going here. I can't wait to go back and do one of their speciality tours where you can feed the animals and get a picture with a cheetah ;)

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed here with my husband and five year old for one night and a morning safari. We enjoyed it more than I can say. It is like having your own zoo to yourself with cabins and a lake. The tents were rustic, very comfortable and spacious. We had # 26. The beds were very comfortable, and I am picky about that sort of thing. it is very chilly in the morning, so don't forget to put on the space heater before you fall asleep. We forgot, and it was chilly!!!
The dinner was what you would expect at a lodge type place- not extraordinary but just very satisfying. Roasting marshmallows was fun by the big fire and I haven't seen so many stars in the sky since I was a kid.
We have been on safari in Africa- Safari West is not like that, because it's not Africa, but they really do make it as close to the real thing as they can, in California. We wanted our five year old to have a safari experience and you can not take a 5 yr. old on an African safari!
There is nothing like watching your child really enjoying themselves and I had such a wonderful time just seeing her happiness. The giraffes were checking out my sneakers and I could have pet one if we were allowed! We will definitely be back!
One small complaint... wish the breakfast were a little more interesting and that it had come out all at once... we didn't realize there was fruit and oatmeal because it came out so much later than the cereal and yogurt.
All in all it was great!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My family of four stayed one night in a base camp tent. We were just across from the giraffe compound. We all LOVED it! And would go back in a minute (if the drive wasn't so long for us). It is expensive - especially if you factor in the safari fees and BBQ dinner - but my husband and I agreed it was worth it for the special experience.
I might be considered hard to please, but I felt the service right from the start was exceptional. With our jeep ride from car door to tent door we got a tour of the compound, ice, and bottled water. The no locks on the doors is a bit strange, but we decided to go with it - I might have felt differently if I was traveling without my husband. We did keep our cameras with us. The tents were a lot of fun and so well thought out. The bathroom was pretty cool, although the toilet area got a little dark for our kids at night. We had a cat and a lizard that kept us company on the porch through much of our stay.
The BBQ dinner was good, not too many easy choices for young kids. But my 4-year old loved running back and forth between the table and the monkeys (we were at the end closest to the monkeys - so no, my son was not bothering anyone). There was kind of a rush once the marshmallows came out. Our kids got their share, but I was disappointed we were one of the only families that made out kids share a roaster so that every family could have at least one. I would have been upset if we had been one of the families that had to wait. Some of the families 'in the know' brought stuff for s'mores.
We were told some of the animals would be loud at night and they were. It made us laugh, and we were way too tired from our drive up for it to bother us, but I could see how it could bother some. It was worth it with the kids to be able to have a front view to the giraffes from our porch.
I was surprised how cold it got in the night. We had electric blankets in the room and a heater (which we didn't use), but I would definitely recommend warm p.j.s. In the morning I debated getting up early to watch the sun emerge over the compound vs. staying in the warm bed. The bed won.
The breakfast was hardier than expected and there seemed to be plenty of everything. The kids were happy with it.
We did the safari last. We did the walking part first. It seemed a little long. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable, I guess I just didn't want to know that much. It was a lot better once we got in the trucks. I was impressed by the amount of animals. We were lucky that all the animals were out - I guess the day before didn't see any zebras, but we saw many.
We just loved the whole experience. No complaints from any of us.

Room Tip: If we were to return I'd request Tent 14. Across from the giraffes, with the bunk beds.