“I Miss the Laksa”

Ranked #54 of 705 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 15 September 2017

This was my first meal when I landed in LA and everything was amazing. I am surprised to eat such good Asian food outside of Asia. The laksa was probably my favourite. Even though it's different from the ones I had in Singapore, but the broth was full of flavours. Just a reminder, the laksa is a bit pricey but it's worth it! I would love to go back and try the food again since I was a lil jet lagged last time.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

The place has been purposely designed to be noisy. Concrete floors, concrete ceilings, marble tables-no table cloths. There is not one noise absorbing or noise abating thing in the eating area. Everyone at our table had to shout to be heard. It was an unpleasant experience from the moment we were seated until the moment we left.

If the service is awful, it matters not how good the food is as the quality of the food can not offset poor quality service. As I have an allergy, we called in advance to determine if we should make reservations. I was assured that it would be no problem for me, as everything in the menus could be prepared without the spice, garlic, that so offends my body and can be quite deleterious to my health. When we got to the restaurant, the marketing line, changed I could not have over 90% of what was on the menu, as nearly all items on the menu was prepared with garlic in advance and as for an entree, I was told that I could have the red meat steak, which I would have preferred not to eat, especially in a restaurant which touts its seafood.

They tried to serve us appetizers before bring out the oysters, they tried to serve us our main meals before they returned with the appetizers, and when that red meat steak came it was so spicy for me, that it was not edible.

We will never return.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Cassia has an interesting menu with an emphasis on Asian food. The food is expertly prepared and quite good. Service was very good as well. Cassia makes for an interesting option away from the beach scene.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We were all over the menu. Shared many dishes and loved, loved, loved them all. First off arrived easily to restaurant address. Valet parking for $8 was a breeze. Checked in and our friend requested the back left corner (which is quieter). Our friend ordered for us and each flavor was wonderful. We started with kaya toast.... loved it! A twist to traditional runny eggs and toast with coconut! Sundrenched Prawns were messy, spicy but sooo good. The fried cauliflower with fish sauce was so interesting. I kept rolling the fish sauce in my mouth but it didn't seem that fishy to me, just good. The Laksa noodles were super rich but not heavy. We were into our second bottle of white wine which went well with these dishes. We also had the green beans with avocado. I am telling you, the mixture of flavors was crazy, yet they worked. We cant wait to go back and do it again. Without the wine our bill came to $178 and 3 of us were very full... but had to add dessert. We ordered (2) choices but I was so full and satisfied that I didn't have either one. Give it a try with an open palette ... I would have loved some Asian décor and I don't remember music in the back ground... it was a little noisy but we really enjoyed the evening at Cassia

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Wanted to find a restaurant around Third Street, and found this gem! Could not get a reservation in the last minute, so we walked in and tried our luck and got a table at the bar. After the person next to us left, the manager was nice enough to pull the other table to us so the three of us can have a comfy dinner. The bartenders serves this side of the room, they were super busy but super attentive, I really praise them for the service. The must haves:
Thai Basil Margarita