“Not bad for the price”

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
San Diego, California
“Not bad for the price”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

To start off, I'm glad my company paid for it. The room was nice, but the bathroom was very small and the shower didn't drain. To avoid flooding the entire room, I had to shower as fast as possible. The walls were thick, so I didn't hear my neighbors, but the windows were not. I could every business in the alley dragging their trashcans out in the morning. I enjoyed my stay, but I don't think its worth the price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Huntley Hotel S, Manager at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It's through our valued guest comments that we can continue to improve. We hope to welcome you back to the Huntley again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We recently held a business meeting in the Crystal Room 3 and were beyond impressed.

Mandy Amini is so helpful in working with you to find the right space for your needs--making sure everything is set-up perfectly and runs smoothly during your event. (Not to mention, she is one of the nicest people I have ever worked with.)

The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive, and the venue is truly lovely and quite stylish and contemporary. We won over our european client, and our other high-end design partners were asking us for booking details for their next meeting.

I highly recommend using this venue for your meetings in the future--especially if you're looking for an uber chic setting with top of the line service. It's also a beautiful hotel with an amazing location in Santa Monica, if you had out of town clients who needed lodging.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Huntley Hotel S, at Huntley Santa Monica Beach, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Darerca,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are disappointed that we have failed to meet your expectations. I would love to discuss this with you and hope you will contact me directly. Our sincere apology and hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you the service you expect and deserve. Sincerely; Tim Lee - Hotelier Consultant
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The Huntley apparently just went through a 16 million dollar facelift. Unfortunately, that's all it was - a facelift. The lobby is beautiful (if quaint) and the rooftop bar/lounge is very chic. However, if you're actually staying in the hotel, the rooms leave something to be desired. It's pretty clear that the rooms are outdated with a few nice fixtures built in during the renovation. The beds are comfortable, the TVs are big, the closets are enormous, and the furniture is more than okay. The bathrooms are nice, but very small, and the towels are noticeable old. The carpets aren't particularly clean, and the windows barely open. Who wants to miss out on that Santa Monica breeze?! The room service menu is lacking, at best, although what's actually on it is pretty good.
The one thing that really turned me off was the bait-and-switch move they pulled. I booked a single bed room with a beach view. I was put in a double room with a street view. When I inquired at the front desk, they said they did me a favor because the only single bed room (bigger) with a beach view was right below the bar/lounge and would be noisy til 2am. As it turns out, my friend (there with me) had the same switch pulled on him and said he'd take the "noisy" room. It wasn't noisy at all. Whether it was good-natured or not, it gave us the impression that the hotel was trying to fill the worse rooms first, and they fooled us (and overcharged) in the process.
With nicer and less expensive hotels nearby, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for. No matter where they put you at first. Get a beach view...
2 Thank 27sam27
Quebec
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is one of the ideal locations in Santa Monica. Its well situated to the pier, 3rd Street Promenade and one block from the beach.

The hotel has a cool bar and restaurant on the roof. Its a trendy place to hang out. Here are the but(s)... I stayed in a suite and it was smaller then you would expect. It was nice, but not a true suite like quality due to its smaller size. Plus, the work area has no place to plug in your laptop and the seat is an ottoman which can get uncomfortable. Even worse, you pay $500 for a room and they still charge you $9.95 for wifi.

They didn't clean the room until late in the day and one day I had to even call for service. The food in the restaurant is good, but not amazing. Again its more about the location. Great views and cool atmosphere makes it a great place to dine.

The other but, I found it on the expensive side for what you are getting. Its a great place to experience, but I would return to the Fairmont which is right across the street. Rooms all have great views and great pool area. Plus, its typically been available at a lower price. Keep in mind, The Huntley is a cooler place, where the Fairmont is an older style. Although, every time I have stayed at the Fairmont ran into a few celebrities.

Don't take this as to negative, I have very high expectations when I pay over $500 per night for just the room. If you are more into a party atmosphere then the Huntley will serve you well.

I am still giving the Huntley a 4 star rating as it has many advantages and absolutely worth a try. You won't be wasting your $500 per night, but for this amount I would expect the full five star feeling.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an ocean view. Their are no balconies and you can only see the ocean when yo...
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed at The Huntley in March 2011 on a work trip. I stayed for 5 nights.

Great first impression - the lobby area is bright and modern. I love the little shop where you can get snacks, coffee and souvenirs. I found the desk staff really helpful and I was checked in quickly.

The room was fine. I had a good view of the area and the hills, and if I stretched I could see the sea. The bathroom was spectacular. The only disappointing thing was that where I would expect to find tea/coffee facilities, there was a cocktail shaker. Might suit some - but I'd rather have a kettle.

I liked the area the hotel was in. I could easily walk to the 3rd Street Promenade, the beach and local cafes. I often nipped out in the morning for a quick breakfast and coffee and be back to be picked up for work. I ate in the Penthouse Restaurant for breakfast two mornings. The food was delicious and the views stunning, but it was a little pricey ($35 for eggs benedict, smoothie and a coffee). Still worth doing though at least once during the stay. I also visited the Penthouse one evening for cocktails - it looked like a lot of non-guests go there too, which I think says a lot about the quality of the place.

I would stay at The Huntley again any day. Very impressive for the price, welcoming and with a touch of luxury.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business