“A stylish retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney, Australia
“A stylish retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I was in the Huntley for 5 days in February and on the whole enjoyed the experience.

The Hotel is quite beautiful. Even if you are not staying there you should pop in to check out the beautiful foyer and then go up to the restaurant to enjoy the view.

The staff are brilliant. Typical Californian hospitality - understated charm and genuine conversation. All the staff were helpful and friendly from check in to check out. 10/10!

However, the rooms are small and whilst they are tidy and reasonably well appointed the main disappointment was the bed that was soft and not supportive.

My poor back suffered a little after a few nights of the squidgy mattress. I really should have asked to be moved to another room. However, I stuck it out as it was only a few nights.

Had dinner in the restaurant one evening. The food was was 7/10 and rather expensive given what I ate elsewhere in Santa Monica.

So in summary a lovely hotel. Friendly and warm. Definitely try the breakfasts - wake up to sunshine and a panoramic view of the sea and the beach.

However, if you have back problems or don't function well on a soft mattress then this may not be the best place for you.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the top 4 floors. These are apparently affected by noise from the restaurant...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

My relationship with the Huntley goes back to when it was owned by the Radisson group. I loved this hotel, its a great find, down a quiet street, with nice views, fantastic location and good prices.
This was my first visit back in years...and when asked if I would stay again the answer would be yes. The hotel has been remodeled since my last stay...and reviews about the hotel being dark are very accurate. You may not think this is a big deal, particularily in a City with such great weather...but the hotel halls are painted a dark coppery brown, the carpets are dark brown and the lighting is minimal. It is defininetly dark. I honestly had no idea I would be so affected by a hotels choice of color scheme or lighting!
The rooms are a toss up. The first room we were put in was small, and darkish, there is no fixed lighting in the rooms other than an enterance pot light. All other lighting comes from lamps thoughout. The first room we were given seemed dark and was showing signs of wear....mascara on the pillow, crackign paint etc.
I asked the front desk if they had something else available and they were more than happy to oblige. This I cannot fault. The front desk people REALLY try! Particularily Rahmin who was a great help. He not only TRIED but followed through! The room we were given in its place was bigger, brighter, and definetly less tired looking...but how is one to ensure this on thier next stay?
When I say the front desk tries...my issue is this, in some cases there is no follow through. After we settled in our new room I let them know the only fixed light in the room (potlight at the enterance) was burned out. They offered to replace it that very night. I said not to worry it could be done the next day. I didnt mention it again but the light was NEVER fixed. They arranged our car rental and were most helpful. But, when it came to returning the car, I did so the night before, and despite assurances from the front desk that they would make sure it got returned on time I received a call from the rental company asking if I was returning the car. When I followed up with them they glady checked into things. There was also the issue of teh a/c streaming in some very horrid fragrances...at one point the room was smelling like skunk. The internet access is free which is a GREAT benefit as so many hotels now charge and arm and a leg for wireless. Again I had to call several times to get wireless set up b/c someone forgot. Follow through.

We had lunch at the restuarant which seems to be a major draw for locals and tourists throughout the week and particularily on the weekends. The views were very nice and our food lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable...one of the best I have slept in. but there is residual noise from the hallway, elevator, and bar that counteract attempts at a good night sleep! The rooms were immaculately cleaned every day. Location is GREAT.

I will say this...we stayed at the Fairmont Miramar the last time we were in Santa Monica (across the street)....and I would stay at the Huntley over and over again if I had to choose between the two. We had some of the same problems (and some much more serious) but at least I wasnt paying twice the price!

I will give the Huntley a second chance....fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the elevator, higher up but not directly under the restaurant. I wouldnt g...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank kiki7
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We visited Santa Monica over New Year's Weekend to attend the Rose Parade with Diamond Tours. This hotel is very nice. Only thing was it cost $30 a night for parking (we drove from Tennessee) and they charge for Internet, but I guess many hotels do. The service was great, room was gorgeous, bed very comfortable. It is a block from a beautiful ocean front park up on the bluff. Easy walk to the beach, Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade and several restaurants. You MUST eat at the restaurant on the top floor. Spectacular views and the food is to die for. Enjoyed our stay immensely.

Room Tip: Try for ocean view
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen V
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

A very good location, just off the main drag so noise from the street is not bad but you are still close enough to all the shops and the beach. They kindly organised an early checkin for us when I booked online and said we'd arrive around 7am, which was a nice touch. Also helped with transport too.
2 adults and 2 kids in the one room, got two huge beds. But couldn't really open the closet door to put our suitcases in so for the week, they were spread around the room. For 2 people, room would be fine but for 4, rather cramped. Hallways were dark and carpet rumpled. Foyer was nice, Penthouse restaurant nice but pricey. Overall, good location but getting somewhat tired. Staff were nice and helpful ($30 per day for parking a bit much)

Room Tip: Others advise to get a room on a higher floor to avoid street noise - would certainly recommend for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan M
Saratoga Springs, UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Pros: Location is excellent, beds are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept on, Stefan in the cafe' and the cafe' in general were lovely.
Cons: There is a bar on the roof that is very cool, but very loud for about 4 floors from the top and in the lobby and elevator. It also makes elevator use really frustratingly slow in the evenings. There is nowhere to sit and relax and talk other than in your room, especially in the evenings. Obnoxious bar patron screaming the "F___" word repeatedly one night in the Lobby until police removed him. The room is in need of renovation - ripped sheers, dirty windows, curtains had food stain on them, ottoman had food stain on it, wallpaper in bathroom, peeling, ripped and bubbling, tile in bathroom cracked, grout needs to be redone, mold at ceiling and in grout on shower floor, stains on carpet, outside paint cracked and peeling. Parking is an additional $30/day, no pool or hot tub.

Average rating for an above average price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business