All reviews full kitchen living room heated pool street promenade pink tile whole foods gas stove apartment complex melrose place garbage trucks two blocks large bedroom per day laundry facilities seen better days an older hotel great pool
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

They do not bother to tell you that there is no parking there unless you're willing to pay them 32 bucks tonight. They will say there is street parking but that's a lie every spot within the vicinity requires a permit to park on the street with crazy restrictions in hours that you can park there. With all the money they're charging to stay there they should definitely think about replacing the carpets they're disgusting. And the fact that I can stay at a Motel 6 and get free Wi-Fi but yet I stay at this place that charges me hundreds of dollars a night and I have to pay them additional money for Wi-Fi is a joke

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2018

Room was large and clean and stuck in the 1960s except for the TVs. TVs were large flat screen modern TVs, but everything else was vintage. Pink toilet and matching pink tub and sink! Bathroom tile was green! It's like I was kid again in my parents house in The Valley. Lots of room and a kitchen too. Wi-fi wasn't free so I used my phone as a wi-fi hot spot for my Internet needs.

Not much room to walk around the pool with all the lounge chairs in the way. If I stumbled, I could easily fall in the pool.

If you want to experience a California Motel the way they were in the 1960s, then this is the place.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

The staff is very friendly, but unfortunately our room wasn’t ready on 15:00, when we arrived. The pool is very clean and refreshing and it is very silent there. Unfortunately the toilet is not that good, so it got stuck 2 times. The wlan is overpriced, wich would have been ok 20 years ago, but not in 2018. The location is perfect and everything is clean.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The Calmar is like stepping back into the 60s / 70s. It is akin to a motel, double storey old building like something from an old movie. Despite being in a good location (2 blocks from the seafront) this does not justify the price tag. We were shocked at the poor quality of the room. old furniture, very tired worn and stained carpet, and a kitchen straight out of the 70s. Having travelled all the way from London we were gutted.
When we asked if we could see anothe rik we were told they were fully booked. What we discovered the next day is that the rooms on the ground floor had wooden floors and appeared to have newer furnishings. avoid staying on the first floor !! The room size however is good and spacious but we would not stay here again. Parking was another 35 dollars a day.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank PeaLomax
Reviewed 20 July 2018

This place is good for so many reasons. Yes, the location. Yes, a good rate. But I like that's its still an old-school american motel experience. It's got legit charm. It seems some of the rooms are being renovated - ours still had the questionable old carpet with a funky smell to boot. But after a day or so, we went nose-blind. Our friends had a room with new flooring. Parking was an extra fee, but not an outrageous one. We enjoyed the pool. It's not a far walk to the pier or the shops.

Room Tip: Ask if they have rooms without carpet.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple