“Tasty Japanese in downtown Santa Monica”
Review of Ninjin

Ninjin
Ranked #224 of 778 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Ninjin is primarily a sushi restaurant that serves up Japanese and Korean dishes alongside the Expo Line. It is close to the Santa Monica Pier and the customer service is friendly.

I've been to Ninjin several times for lunch with colleagues, however, the price of the lunch special recently increased to $13.95 and I ordered the Dragon Roll, which added a $4 surcharge. This is fairly high for lunch in the neighborhood.

What I ordered:
1. Miso Soup - small amount of tofu, but hot
2. Steamed gyoza - fantastic, fresh, hot
3. The Dragon Roll - amazing presentation, but okay on taste. The eel was tasty, however, the roll was mostly packed with "imitation krab" meat.

My bill for the lunch special and a water came to $24 including tax and tip.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 17 January 2017

We called into Ninjin for a quick early evening meal and got exactly what we hoped for - freshly cooked tasty food served quickly.
Good points:
+ Good value happy hour menu
+ Fresh, tasty food
+ Great service
Not so good points:
- Small, so fills up quickly and not ideal for groups of over 4 people
- Simple decor, don't bring that special date unless you know they'll just focus on the food

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Lunch was very satisfying, nicely prepared and presented in a bento box. The miso soup is actually a cut above average, rich broth without being too strong. I think what I find most attractive about this little place is its location and atmosphere. If you're looking for a Japanese restaurant in easy walking distance of the Downtown Santa Monica Metro Expo Line Station, I'd put this near the top of the list. It's an easy walk to the beach and Pier, and to the Promenade; close enough to the shoreline for the Pacific to moderate the weather. The dining room is attractive, the service a bit leisurely.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 1 September 2016

This Restaurant had terrible signage and exposure, it was difficult to find as it is located in the middle of an unimpressive commercial plaza.

There must have been 5 staff members that all greet you at the same time, for a sitting area of about 150 sq/ft, it was actually quite amusing. I was skeptical by the decor of the place, but I caught a glance of the food on another persons plate and I could tell it was going to be good.

The Sushi is Authentic and Almost Exceptional. The service was very good, we ordered everything off the Menu and they were happy to oblige. I recommend looking for this restaurant if you are craving really good Sushi.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 10 August 2016

Visiting Santa Monica for business, I had a few hours to spend shopping and I found Ninjin using Google maps. Great stuff. I like real Japanese sushi and the good people at Ninjin knows how to make sushi the Japanese way. The rice is great and there is plenty of good quality fish. The place is not fancy at all, but I don't mind. I prefer high-quality food over fancy decors. This is sushi very close to what you get in Japan. Hopefully this is what you want from a Japanese restaurant...

Date of visit: July 2016