“Overpriced and overrated”
Review of Sushi Roku

Sushi Roku
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Roku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 777 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Santa Monica Blvd. and Ocean Ave.
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped by this restaurant to order sushi to go. Either the waitress at the entrance was very careless and ignorant or both the chef and waitress had no idea what sushi is and sushimi is. They gave me sushimi but the waitress insisted that it was sushi ! I have travelled all around the world including Japan and I believe I have enough knowledge to understand the difference between sushi and sushimi. Anyways they charged about $43 for only 10 pieces of sushi to go, highly overpriced. The waitress was terrible and had no experience about being polite to customers. Either she wasn’t about her job or she had personal problems. I purchased that order on July 23rd around 10pm. So I recommend the restaurant manager to check the records to improve their customer service satisfaction

jeffrey o, Guest Relations Manager at Sushi Roku, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

We're very sorry to read of your experience, as guest satisfaction is a top priority here, and we always aim to provide polite, caring, and knowledgeable service. We appreciate you sharing this information with us, as feedback helps us to improve, and we will be sure to use this as a re-training opportunity for this employee. Our team would love to get more information and ensure that this is addressed right away, so please send an email to info@innovativedining.com including your contact information. Thank you, and if you're ever in the area again, we'd love to welcome you back for a five-star experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

A very nice place with excellent service. The food was good but the maki rolls was a little loose. Try the premium sake sampler - a good choice. We was lucky to get a table - book earlier on the day

jeffrey o, Guest Relations Manager at Sushi Roku, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. Excellent service is what we aim to offer, and we appreciate you suggesting our sake sampler. If you're ever in the area again, we hope you'll be back to see us!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The sushi was great! We ordered three rolls after sitting outside in the heat for 7minutes without being greeted. I walked in a few times to watch soccer and grabbed a water from the bar when the bartender told my server to go outside and visit my table. I went back outside and my fiancé was ordering the food. I forgot to order a tuna roll so I went in to catch the server before it was too late and told him. As soon as I was finished he LAUGHED HISTERICALLY THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RESTAURANT. It was a gross heinna laugh, very loud, and very unprofessional. Maybe he wasn’t laughing at me but it sure felt like it. I was very turned off by him and the restaurant, my experience was almost ruined. Our sushi arrived and now it’s been almost 20 minutes and my fiancé still doesn’t have any water, so now I’m pissed. I’m about to spend nearly $70 on 4 rolls and Greg doesn’t have water and the restaurant is empty so it’s not because they were busy. I asked for the manager and he was so polite and professional. I told him we wanted to leave and we would pay for the roll we ate. Another roll came out to the table and we sent it back. The manager said to please eat and he would take care of it so we ate two rolls out of four. The server come back over ans said very condescending “HOW IS THE FOOD YOU GUYS?” First of all it’s great because it’s free and because it has really fresh flavor. Don’t come over and ask us how the food is like we are trying to get something for free, HE MESSED UP AND SHOULD NEEDS TO BE FIRED! I’ve been a server for 13 years he is a disgrace to restaurants. The server had no beusiness speaking to us unless it was to apologize for his lack of serving. He popped his head around me and was trying to be cute, boy please. BYE! You lost in this situation, the manager is pissed at you, you didn’t get a tip and we got free food that we tried to pay for.

2  Thank Ashlee H
jeffrey o, Guest Relations Manager at Sushi Roku, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Ashlee, we appreciate you mentioning that the sushi was great and had really fresh flavor, but we're sorry the service you received wasn't in line with our high standards. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and for letting our manager work to make things right. We truly value your patronage, and would like for you to reach out to us at info@innovativedining.com with your contact information. Should you choose to give us another chance, we'd be happy to serve you a delicious meal and offer five-star service.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

We ate here an early dinner . We ordered sushi, gyoza, lamb chops, ramen soup.
The dishes were very tasty mylamb gyoza was great. The dishes are relatively small and the place is not cheap.

jeffrey o, Guest Relations Manager at Sushi Roku, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Thanks for joining us for dinner! We use the freshest, highest quality ingredients to prepare our dishes, so the price can be a little higher, but we always hope our guests fully enjoy the food, along with every other aspect of their visit. It's great that you thought everything you tried was very tasty!

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I ate here last night when we arrived in Santa Monica. We love sushi and were excited to try this place as it was conveniently located near our hotel. The food and cocktails were delicious and the staff was great. But their menu system is bizarre. Whenever we asked the server a question about a menu item he would answer and then tell us about another roll or dish that isn’t on the menu. That happened no less than 3 times. His explanation was that the items not on the menu were “standard sushi dishes that everyone knows” which struck me as very pretentious. I’ve eaten sushi for years and still like to see the whole menu. What if someone who has never tried sushi eats there? They would be pretty confused I’m sure. I’m not sure why they do it that way but we found it inconvenient. Why not show your customers the full menu of items you offer? I recommend them for their quality but they lost points for being confusing.

jeffrey o, Guest Relations Manager at Sushi Roku, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

While we appreciate your recommendation in regard to our high quality, delicious food and cocktails, we're sorry to hear you found the menu confusing. We always want to be as clear and informative as possible, so we're grateful for your feedback. Thank you for visiting while you were in town, and if you and your wife are ever in Santa Monica again, we hope you'll be back to see us.