“Can't beat the location! (or the breakfast)”
Review of The Darling House

The Darling House
Ranked #9 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Darling House with a huge group of extended family. It was rented out for us for a wedding party. We all had a great time. Because we knew everyone in all the rooms, we got to tour them all. Some rooms were definitely nicer than others. We probably had the least plush room - and still, the bathroom was brand new and spotlessly clean. It is an old house, with antique furniture and furnishings. It is by no means fancy - but it had such a great, warm feeling to it - and a lot of character. It felt like home in no time. The hosts were kind and warm as well. Breakfast was beautiful, fresh, and quite healthy which was important to me. And their home-made croissants?? Wow... I would go back just for those. My favorite part was the location - right across from the bay. Each morning I would wake up at 6:45 and walk across the street to walk along the ocean and see the surfers at sunrise. I would highly recommend renting the entire house out like we did. It was so much fun to congregate on the comfy couches in the main room overlooking the bay to talk with each other. I will always think of the Darling House with fondness.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs seemed nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Darling House

Reviewed 24 November 2011

I saw this place on Groupon and decided to treat my wife to a "just because" getaway in a beautiful B&B in Santa Cruz. As others have said, from the outside the house is perfect, beautiful home, perfect location... just perfect. Inside however is not perfect. Musty, moldy, and dank. We stayed in the Pacific Room (the upstairs bedroom overlooking the Pacific Ocean), hoping for a romantic weekend. Instead we got hairs in the tub (not head hairs either), dust on ALL the furniture (which led me to investigate further) and dusty floors. I looked under the rugs and I don't think a mop has seen those floors for a decade, minimum. The bed was noisy (couldn't even shift my weight without a loud creaking noise, certainly no romantic evening on the agenda), the bathroom door was noisy, and the walls are thin. We heard conversations from the next room as though we were sitting with them. All in all, a truly beautiful location, but the execution of the small but important details was seriously lacking. I really wanted to like this place, but I just couldn't. For almost $200 a night it was no where close to what it should/could be. Not recommended.

Room Tip: The view of the Pacific is unrivaled.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matt D
Reviewed 13 November 2011

A beautiful house and a beautiful location. I'm surprised there are a few negative reviews on this website, especially with regards to the Darling's hospitality. We stayed there two nights and have nothing but great things to say about the service we received. Breakfast was great and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. Our room (which had a private bathroom) had a nice antique feel to it, and was clean. The Darlings were extremely helpful and friendly, providing recommendations on places to see / places to eat. The location is amazing, within walking distance from the wharf and the boardwalk.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
DWCD, Manager at The Darling House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

It's always a pleasure to host guests that appreciate what the Darling House offers. We're glad you enjoyed the Santa Cruz area and exploring local points of interest. We're also pleased the Darling House provided a comfortable stay for you both & we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

The ocean is right across the house; Darrell Darling is a sweet host, owner of the Darling House with his wife Karen. Both are very hospitable and warm. The house is old historic house with antique furnishings - and very comfortable beds. It is an old house - so expect to be transported in time, but its close proximity to downtown, to the boardwalk, the pier with restaurants and shops, the Darling House is a great place to stay in. I was very comfortable in my bed - stayed in the smaller rooms with my own shower. There was a sink in the bedroom typical of the architectural designs back then. I was mostly out of the house going around Sta. Cruz area, and when it was time to rest and sleep - the room was perfect for a night's restful sleep and relaxation!

Room Tip: The master bedroom has the views of the ocean which is right across the street from the Darling Hous...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2011

When I saw the room listed on the Groupon site, I was very excited at the Idea a staying a historic house...BUT! The place just seemed run down and smelly. They room we stayed in had cobwebs hanging from the chandelier and we were itchy an uncomfortable in the bed. The shared bathroom was barely bearable....I highly recommend that someone does not stay here even at the much reduced Groupon rate...I am still itchy!

Room Tip: There a no good rooms...they all need cleaning
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple