In regards to why the rules are in place, I think this hostel had made it quite clear. They are also a non-profit org, so having desk staff all day isn't very possible. This note is printed on the back of every receipt:
HI-Santa Cruz is housed in a city park. We are fortunate to have use of this wonderful historic estate and invite you to enjoy the gardens, the peaceful setting and take in a bit of history during your stay with us. We just ask that you respect the following guidelines so we can be here for future travelers:
1. Curfew and quiet hours begin at 11pm. (The City of Santa Cruz requires us to have this curfew due to our neighborhood settings.)
2. We are closed between 11am-5pm. If you would like to access personal items please store them in the outside lockers.
3. No alcohol or drugs allowed on hostel property.
4. Please use the linens provided - no sleep bags.
5. Please smoke in designated areas only.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Cruz Youth Hostel Carmelita Cottages Hotel Santa Cruz